VMware Cloud Community
nakrul
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXi kernel panic

Hello,

while copying data on a virtual machine with a Windows os from one hdd to another, the server started the configured automatic backup with veeam and ended in a kernel panic. Can you help me with the problem.

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bdonders
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  Steven,

The copy process and the Veeam Backup are completed successfully when run separately?

Can you reproduce the error?

I can imagine that backup fails when copying an amount of data during the snapshotting proces, but I am not sure why that would cause a PSOD.

Regards,

Bart

0 Kudos
nakrul
Contributor
Contributor

‌Hi Bart,

when run separately the copy process and the Veeam backup work like a charm. I will try to reproduce the PSOD on friday afternoon, I have scheduled a server maintenance then.

Regards,

Steven

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Possibly related to http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2135956?

nakrul
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the hint to the knowledge base article. I have a single esxi host with vmware vsphere essentials. I have no distributed virtual switches or port groups defined that could cause the problem.

Regards,

Steven

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

it seems very simmilar to the following backtrace:

(see the lines starting from <YYYY-MM_DD><Time> cpu26:9842)@BlueScreen: PANIC bora/vmkernel/main/dlmalloc.c:4827 - Usage error in dlmalloc:)

VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.1.x host fails with a purple diagnostic screen and reports the error: PANIC...

Cause

This issue occurs if there is an issue with CPU hardware. 

Resolution

To resolve this issue, contact your hardware vendor for assistance. Also, consider a BIOS upgrade, if available.
_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
nakrul
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I upgraded the to the latest bios version last friday. During the next scheduled maintenance I will try to reproduce the kernel panic.

Regards,

Steven

0 Kudos