CompuAnnan
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXi 7.0.1 root password reset

Jump to solution

i have problem with my vmware esxi 7.0.1 root password. we changed it but did not keep record of the new one and it was lost. we need to reset the password.

i have several vm machines and i do not want to lose them.

i tried upgrading to newer version(tried it on other stand alone server not the one i have problem with) but did not work since it did not ask for a new root password.

i can not restart or shutdown since i wont be able to turn on my vm machines again and i will get in big problem.

is there a way to reset the root password without losing my vm machines? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SCIJLW
Contributor
Contributor

Are you on vCenter by chance?  If so, then you can use Host Profiles to reset the root password.  Otherwise, you can re-install ESXi with a new password and it won't reformat the VMFS drives, if you have ESXi on a separate drive(s) from the VM datastore.  If they are intermingled, I would export the VMs and then re-install, re-import the VM.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for ESXi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
CompuAnnan
Contributor
Contributor
is it wrong to post it here?
0 Kudos
CompuAnnan
Contributor
Contributor
is it wrong to post here?
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can't remember which area you posted your thread in originally, but if you look at the path towards the top of the page you'll see it was moved by a moderator:

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 09.21.28.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
SCIJLW
Contributor
Contributor

Are you on vCenter by chance?  If so, then you can use Host Profiles to reset the root password.  Otherwise, you can re-install ESXi with a new password and it won't reformat the VMFS drives, if you have ESXi on a separate drive(s) from the VM datastore.  If they are intermingled, I would export the VMs and then re-install, re-import the VM.

irigoyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As @SCIJLW already reffered. You can do it with Host profile.

Here the KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/68079

0 Kudos
CompuAnnan
Contributor
Contributor

hi thanks for your reply. no i am not on vcenter.

Reinstalling ESXI keeps my VM drives? no risk at all?

they are all on the same drive.

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

LILO?

0 Kudos
mrtgokul
Contributor
Contributor

If your Esxi server is managed by vCenter we can use PowerCLI to reset your Password. This wont cause any downtime.

0 Kudos
CompuAnnan
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstall with new password worked for me. All VM machine remained and no harm. 

Thanks for all the help from everyone

0 Kudos