VMware Cloud Community
GMSS_LLP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware ESXi 6 and Windows 2016 Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH)

Hi,

I'm running vSphere 6 (esxi 6 hosts) as the hypervisor and I have Server 2016 RDSH Guest VM running on it.

I need to enable RemoteFX to increase video performance for my users who are connecting to the Windows Server 2016

RDSH server. After reading other posts and articles, it would seem that I would need to enable Hyper-V for RemoteFX to work?

Is there no way for me to enable RemoteFX on Server 2016 RDSH to work on vSphere ESXi 6 instead?

I've seen on some forums referencing nvidia and GRID and what it does but cannot see if I can get ESXi host to recognise the

card and get Windows 2016 RDS to use the GPU.

Has anyone manage to successfully do something similar? I would appreciate anyone who could help.

Kind Regards

GMSS

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator note: Product question, thread moved to ESXi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

GMSS_LDP,

RemoteFX can work with the virtual "VMware SVGA 3D" adapter that you can use for your VM. If you're using an Nvidia grid card Nvidia has drivers for ESXi that you will need to install to be able to get it working. These drivers are however not available on the public Nvidia page as you need to register with them.

It is also possible to use a dedicated gpu and give it directly to the VM, but this will not work if the gpu is Nvidia unless it's a Grid/Tesla card because Nvidia doesn't want you to use cheap cards in your servers.

Lars

0 Kudos
GMSS_LLP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your response.

Just to confirm as I'm using RDSH (Session Host) and my users are connecting to RDSH server.  Would you say these are the steps I need to take in order for this to work:

1. Get Nvidia Grid Card and install the drives (.vib file)on the ESXi host (but will need to register with Nvidia to get the drivers)

2. Enable Remote FX on the RDSH server.

3. Reinstall VMware Tools so that the drives can be seen on the RDSH server through Remote FX?

After this, my users connecting to the RDSH server will be able to experiencing increase video performance?

Please add anything further if I'm missing something.

Kind Regards

GMSS

0 Kudos