VMware Cloud Community
croussou
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXi 6.0.0 - Virtual Machine version issues

Hi,

I have a test environment with a Dell R310 server in which I have recently patched ESXi 5.5 to ESXi 6.0 with the use of VMware Offline Bundle (VMware-ESXi-6.0.0-2494585-depot.zip). After the upgrade I wanted to created a new VM where I realised that virtual machine versions 9, 10 and 11 show a notification which says the following.

If you use this client to create a VM with this version, the VM will not have the new features and controllers in this hardware version. If you want this VM to have the full hardware features of this version, use the vSphere Web Client to create it.

I hereby provide a screen shot as well, for additional clarirification.

vmware_virtual_machine_version.PNG

As far as I know, the vSphere Web Client is only available with vCenter, please correct me if I am wrong. The question is, what is the point to upgrade to VMware ESXi 6.0.0 if I will not be able to create a VM with the newer virtual machine versions?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

i would suggest that the features of hardware version 11 will not be used if you don't have a Vcenter installation. As far as i am aware however picking version 11 will still allow for the new OS support.

New configuration maximums for virtual machines with vHW11:

• 128 vCPUs
  • 4 TB vRAM
  • 32 serial ports

New features with vHW11:

• vNUMA aware hot-add RAM
  • WDDM 1.1 GDI acceleration
  • USB 3.0 xHCI controller
  • extended support for virtual graphics incl. Nvidia vGPU

Expanded Guest OS Support:

• Solaris 11.2
  • Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel Release 3 Quaterly Update 3
  • Asanux 4 SP4
  • Ubuntu 12.04.5 and 14.04.1
  • Oracle Linux 7
  • FreeBSD 9.3
  • Mac OSX 10.10

Also clarification here:

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2015/02/vsphere-6-clarifying-misinformation.html

You ll see from the above that even with vcenter, using the c# would still result in this notifcation, so webclient is required, which as you pointed out is only available with vcenter.

Rich

0 Kudos
croussou
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Well truth is, I have managed to deploy a VM with Virtual Machine version 11 and Windows Server 2012 as guest OS, but later on I was having issues. For example, it started freezing, having blue screens and so on. I am not sure though whether it was related with the Virtual Machine version itself or just some wrong configuration originating from my side.

0 Kudos