VMware Cloud Community
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware ESXi 5.5 crashing

I have a server with ESXI 5.5 and two virtual machines running pfSense, the problem is that almost every morning the server crashes, I can not even access the virtual machines or the own server by the vSphere Client. What could it be? Hardware problem? Or otherwise virtual machines can cause the host crash? Thanks

45 Replies
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Part 2

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Part 3

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Part 04

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Part 5

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Part 6

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Part 7 (the final)

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi there, can you please try installing these two vibs found on this site: http://www.vladan.fr/realtek-8169-nics-not-detected-under-esxi-5-5/ - A walkthrough on how to do it is there.

What came to my mind is that you might want to remove one NIC card and leave the second there to determine the faulting component.

Good luck!

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Fttz,Can you try to shutdown the Pfsense VM and see how your ESXi is stable or try to change the network driver(vmxnet3 or e1000) of your Pfsense VM?

It is almost 1 week issue,better try to submit the SR ticket with VMware.

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Today I put another VM to run on the host and stopped the two that were with pfSense to better assess and see if will crash with the other vm. If you lock will do what you guys recommend me. I'm sorry for the delay in return, had other more pressing problems.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Today I put another VM to run on the host and stopped the two that were with pfSense to better assess and see if will crash with the other vm. If you lock will do what you guys recommend me. I'm sorry for the delay in return, had other more pressing problems.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yesterday the server crashed again (but with no purple screen error). The logs are attached.

I installed new drivers as recommended by Alistar. And I changed the type of E1000 adapter to vmxnet 3 as recommended by Dee006. Let's wait.

But I believe to be a hardware problem with the server.

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am at a loss, the logs do not show anything remotely useful in your case  Smiley Sad

The only line that *could* say something that it could indeed be the Realtek NIC:

2015-01-22T17:01:46.814Z cpu2:33343)WARNING: LinDMA: Linux_DMACheckConstraints:138: Cannot map machine address = 0x1153bb5f0, length = 134 for device 0000:05:02.0; reason = address exceeds dma_mask (0xffffffff))

which is the realtek NIC:

2015-01-21T17:42:10.906Z cpu3:33307)PCI: driver r8169 claimed device 0000:05:02.0

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your new drivers remedied your issue. If anyone else has some useful pointers I'll be really glad to see them!

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

uptime:

15:48:40 up 3 days, 19:57:40, load average: 0.42, 0.41, 0.41

After the last driver update. Let's wait...

Thanks

Alistar
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Crashed again. With the windows 7 VM ran smoothly for 3 days (using only the Realtek NIC). This was after updating the drivers. So I went back VMs with pfSense and the server came back to catch. Even changed the settings, I stopped using the Realtek NIC and used only the 3 D-Link 528T NICs and still crashed.

But the images of pfSense running on another server worked for days without crashing.

Attached below the logs, none of the times presented purple screen.

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Stopped again !!! I migrated the service to another server and turned off the problematic, I will give another destination for this hardware and use the other servers to VMs.

; (((

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are running microcode patch level 0x12.  The current microcode patch level for your CPU is 0x1b.  I would recommend a BIOS upgrade.

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I updated the BIOS and removed a RAM memory stick (leaving the system with 2 X Kingston DDR3 2GB).

now:

00:21:59 up 3 days, 5:34:43, load average: 0.05, 0:07, 0:07

Running the two VM with pfSense (using the 4 NICs) and also put a openSUSE for testing ...

Let's wait ...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Fttz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After: 18:35:36 up 7 days, 23:48:20, load average: 0.23 0:14, 0:10

of uptime

I turned off the server and put back the cover of the cabinet and turned on again.

But not before completing 24 hours the server crashed again (the same way, without displaying the purple screen).

Could be an overheating problem?

I have not seen any indication of a high-temperature.

Attached logs

0 Kudos