VMware Cloud Community
dave85
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXi 5.1 freeze

Hello,

i have a problem with an host vmware esxi 5.1.0 buid 799733, it often happens that i find my host frozen, if i log on the management console i find the screen that i have attached.

All virtual machines are turned off and the host is no longer reachable.

Can you help me?

thanks

greetings

Davide

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

Seem to be known issue in 5.1 configured with vDS Health Check, apply ESXi 5.1 Patch 02  to fix the issue

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A level-triggered interrupt handler for a particular vector (aka, a given device & driver) should only be invoked on one CPU. Drivers should be able to safely assume that one one instance of a given interrupt handler is running on the system at a time.

However, due to a VMware ESXi software defect, a level-triggered interrupt handler may be invoked on two different CPUs in parallel at the same time, resulting in multiple different failures. When a level-triggered interrupt is being serviced by a CPU, subsequent interrupts on the same vector for that CPU are queued on the Local APIC. However, the ESXi Interrupt Tracker can asynchronously change the vector's destination to a new CPU, which may immediately handle it. If this occurs, the interrupt handler on the first and second CPUs may interact in unforeseen and detrimental ways.

The specific symptoms observed depend on the driver which is affected, and are outside scope of this article. See Impact/Risks section for known issues.

Unfortunately, this is an issue that was suspected to be a hardware fault for some time, leading to cases being opened with hardware partners. If misbehaving hardware does cause double-firing of interrupts in the future, this fix should address it as well.

( Try at your own risk )

VMware KB: Configuring advanced driver module parameters in ESX/ESXi

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
dave85
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for the info, I will try to apply the ESXi 5.1 Patch 02.

I will let you know..

thanks

0 Kudos