VMware Cloud Community
sstremmel
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXi 4 Networking Question

I am new to ESXi. I have been using the free VMware Server for a while off and on, but the interface is different so I am having a problem with networking. If this is the wrong place to ask please let me know.

Here is the scenario:

ESXi 4 installed on a host with 2 physical NIC's on 2 different networks. I want the VM's that are on the private network to be able to access the public network.

eth0 = 128.249.65.X (public ip)

eth1 = 172.30.10.X (private ip)

I installed a VM (CentOS 5) and used the private network for the IP.

Here is what the vSphere Host > Configuration > Networking shows...

Virtual Switch : vSwitch0

-Virtual Machine Port Group -

Physical Adapters--

VM Network o----

o vmnic1 1000 Full (sees the public switch when I click the CDP icon)

| 1 virtual machine

| weili-sandbox (using 172.30.10.### configured through CentOS OS) o----

o

---VMkernel Port -

| Management Network

| vmk0 : 128.249.65.### o----

o

So, the management network that I access the host through vSphere is on the public network. The new VM is configured (through the OS) for the private network.

The vSphere diagram shows everything linked into the gray rectangle (vSwitch0?). The VMnetwork and the VM connect to the vSwitch that the host physical adapter

How can I get the VM to get to the other nodes on the private net that the host is connected to. Is there another vswitch that I need to add? Or do I need to add a new NIC (the host NIC connected to the private IP) to a new vSwitch for the private IP network? If I add

I just can't get this working or worked out in my head for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated. I feel like the answer is just on the tip of my tongue but I can't get it.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you post a screenshot of your networking configuration, it will be a little easier to understand. What you are talking about sounds like something that is possible, but a screenshot will be much easier. Thanks!

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos
sstremmel
Contributor
Contributor

The second image (Net_Orig.jpg) is the original with the (1) host adapter physically connected to the public net.

The first image (Net_Both.jpg) is what it looked like when I added the second host adapter physically connected to the private net.

I believe that using VMware Server (free) I was able to create a vSwitch for each network, connected the VM's vmnic to the private IP vSwitch and then the private vSwitch to the host public vSwitch, but I can't be sure if I remember correctly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So you are looking to create a seperate vSwitch? There is a button in the top right of that section that says "Add Networking" that will allow you to create another vSwitch and attach the second NIC to it. That is the way to do it unless you are using vlans to seperate the traffic. Hope that helps!

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
sstremmel
Contributor
Contributor

Like this???

If so, then how do you connect the VM to the new vSwitch? I may have missed a step when I created it, or maybe there is a step afterwards for connecting the VM it?

0 Kudos
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yep, you got it. To edit which vm network the VM is connected to click on the VM and hit "Edit Settings." Once you are in that window, click on the NIC that you want to change and on the right you will see a drop down with a list of available virtual networks. Select the one that you want to be connected to and hit OK. Thats it! If you can't find it I will post a screen shot for you. Thanks!

---

www.beyondvm.com

0 Kudos
sstremmel
Contributor
Contributor

That did it. Thanks!

0 Kudos
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No problem, glad to help!!

---

www.beyondvm.com

0 Kudos