VMware Cloud Community
mhanby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware ESXi 4.0 with Dell Customization

VMware posted this on the ESXi download page "VMware ESXi 4.0 with Dell Customization" yesterday. I installed it on a test server, a Dell m600.

I'm using the free ESXi license at the moment.

I expected that this version would include Dell OpenManage 6.1 along with custom Dell drivers. After install, I'm unable to connect to https://esxi_server:1311 (i.e. the OpenManage port).

Questions:

1. Does anyone know exactly what's in this customized release? Is it drivers and OpenManage?

2. Assuming OM is part of the customization, what do I need to do to get it running?

3. When I eventually get my license for vSphere Essentials (maybe Plus), will it work with this install of ESXi (do I just change the license number to license it as a vSphere Essentials managed node? or is there a completely separate ESXi install media for this product)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

See the later threads on http://communities.vmware.com/thread/220783?tstart=0

it contains all the necessary information to configure OpenManage 6.1 on ESXi 4.0.

Earlier with ESXi 3.5, OpenManage component was integrated with the ISO image

but from ESXi 4.0 onwards, VMware introduced a new concept called Vsphere Installation Bundle( VIB ) and this allows the end users to download VIB files and install it on ESXi 4.0. So Dell started posting their OpenManage component as a VIB in support.dell.com.

All these information like download OpenManage, Configure OpenManage and accesssing OpenManage webpage are discussed in the above mentioned thread in details. Let me know if you have any difficulty in running Openmanage on ESXi 4.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at http://communities.vmware.com/thread/220783?tstart=0

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
mhanby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. I had read through that post prior to posting and I didn't see any mention of the "VMware ESXi 4.0 with Dell Customization" ISO available on the VMware download site.

The way I read the title of that ISO, it should include OpenManage. The other thread discusses the process of installing OM into an existing ESXi server.

Maybe I'm wrong, and this ISO simply has additional Dell drivers that aren't part of the generic installation.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know if the Dell install contains the OpenManage components. In the past they have included just the custom CIM modules (and perhaps drivers???). I wouldn't necessarily expect to see everything that you normally have with installing OpenManage directly on a server. ESXi is small and the partitions available for adding components is small.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Query the system to determine if the dell openmanage has been installed.

I am curious if it shows up as a patch.

Then go through the steps to enable it per that post.

Eou do not directly connect to the esxi system on port 1311.

You connect to a windows system running just the web component.

krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

See the later threads on http://communities.vmware.com/thread/220783?tstart=0

it contains all the necessary information to configure OpenManage 6.1 on ESXi 4.0.

Earlier with ESXi 3.5, OpenManage component was integrated with the ISO image

but from ESXi 4.0 onwards, VMware introduced a new concept called Vsphere Installation Bundle( VIB ) and this allows the end users to download VIB files and install it on ESXi 4.0. So Dell started posting their OpenManage component as a VIB in support.dell.com.

All these information like download OpenManage, Configure OpenManage and accesssing OpenManage webpage are discussed in the above mentioned thread in details. Let me know if you have any difficulty in running Openmanage on ESXi 4.0

0 Kudos
ProductSupport
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tryed to download the iso from Dell. It appears that they removed it. "Release R224696 is no longer available. Reason: Issue with release."

Any idea why?

Sould I stay away from this one?

I am new to ESXi so the less headaches the better.

I am concidering using the generic iso.

Regards,

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes right now there is stop ship issue for ESXi 4.0 from VMware.

The issue is related to write-back cache option enabled in the storage controller and ESX/ESXi 4.0. So Dell recommends their customers not to use ESX/ESXi 4.0 till this issue is fixed.

The fix availablility will be announced in the support site and VMware site.

0 Kudos
ProductSupport
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, why would VMWare still offer it for download?

Sould I install a lower version (3.5) until they fix the issue?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
mhanby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good question, I'm surprised that I didn't get an email from VMware regarding this issue.

Is there an estimated time frame for the fix? Days, Weeks, Months?

Do you have a link to a bug report or something that explains the issue in more detail?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am sorry...i confused you people.Sorry for the wrong message

This is not a stop ship issue for VMware. There are workarounds available and here is what i found.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101279...

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is the latest message posted at VMware. you can see an alert of this issue in the below link

http://www.vmware.com/download/vsphere/

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Odd that this KB is against only vSphere 4, as I have shown the PERC 5i to be also affected on ESXi 3.5 U4. But maybe that's because I have 512MB cache on it (it's only 256MB by default).

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

THis issue is not affected in ESX/ESXi 3.5 U4 basically 3.5 branch.

THe issue is becaause of the OS is not shutting down the controller ( storage controller ) when a shutdown of OS happens. This is a bug in 4.0 alone

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

But that's my point, I performed a clean ESXi 3.5 U4 shutdown and disconnected the PERC battery - the result was plentiful volume corruption.

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

are you using Embedded or Installable image?

what's the controller you are using? what's the error you are seeing after removing battery?

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi, that was embedded. Controller is Perc 5i, with 512MB BBWC. Controller noted cache battery had been removed when restarted IIRC, ESXi reported no errors, but ALL the VMs on the RAID volume were corrupted (guest OS boot failures etc).

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hmm..this is interesting..per vmware this issue is not affected in ESX 3.5 branch. have you raised this question with VMware support? its better to do ASAP. This is a serious issue which can cause data loss.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi, no being a cheap-skate I've not got any support, so I'm not sure I can raise it!

0 Kudos