VMware Cloud Community
elpsycongrew
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXI Noob - first time installing, having issues, please help me!!!!

Hello,

Heres what happened:

1) installed VMware workstation, used their free trial for 30 days.

2) used VMware workstation to set up the ESXI host client.

3) went into the ESXI host client by going into 192.168.72.128

4) tried installing my first VM, I get stuck at storage device screen. There are no storage devices to choose from, even though my esxi manager shows that I have a datastore with enough space for that.

**After looking at all of this, I believe my system just might not be compatible with ESXi 7 (I tried looking at that compatibility page, but its an absolute mess)... i've already tried using VirtualBox, but that also did not properly install my VM.

So then....

a) can you tell me what i'm doing wrong

b) can you tell me a different tool I can use to install a VM onto my computer?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
elpsycongrew
Contributor
Contributor

I'm gonna try the steps in this: https://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2021/08/esxi-install-disk-not-detecting-hdd/

but do let me know if you have any suggestions.

0 Kudos
elpsycongrew
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what my hard drive is: sandisk sd8tb8u256g1001 (256 gb ssd)

I can't seem to find it on the compatibility page....

0 Kudos
elpsycongrew
Contributor
Contributor

SSD drivers are up to date.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You running vSphere ESXi within a Virtual machine right?  I assumed that you give this VM a propper Controller otherwise your installation cant proceed. Depending on the size of this drive the installer will automaticly create a VMFS Datastore with the rest of the disk space. The better solution would be to add another vDisk to that VM and reboot your virtual ESXi. After the reboot you can create a additional Datastore which you can than use for placing the VMs on.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
elpsycongrew
Contributor
Contributor

@IRIX201110141

What do you mean by vdisk, and how do I do that.

Do you mean I need another hard drive to try this out?

Sorry for dumb question, I am new to this.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Q: How large was the first vDisk your VM have and where you have installed ESXi on?

If you need more disk space within this VM you need to add an additional Disk to the VM. So shut it down and press Edit Setttings and add another virtual Disk(vDisk).

After your powerd up your virtual ESXi login into your Host Client and go to Storage-> New Datastore to create an VMFS6 Datastore within your virtual ESXi.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
elpsycongrew
Contributor
Contributor

Nope I am actually using VMWare Workstation.

I have never created a virtual machine before. This is my first time. I created a virtual machine through VMware workstation, and then i got the host ip. I then went into my mozilla firefox and typed in the host ip, which led me to a login. I logged in with username "root" and the password I created. I thought this would just log me in to the virtual machine I made, but it ended up just being like a virtual machine manager, where I could make more VMs. When I tried to make another one I get stuck at a screen where its asking me to select a storage device to install onto.... it basically just shows no storage devices available. Let me show you screenshot, maybe that will make this less annoying for you. one moment.

0 Kudos
elpsycongrew
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
elpsycongrew
Contributor
Contributor

@IRIX201110141When you say go to settings and create more space, do you mean from the host manager screen, or from vmware workstation itself?

0 Kudos
Leviticus_Rules
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

Would be glad to help you as I use Workstation Pro 16 for my ESXI host on a daily. Do you have any VOIP or steam friend code?

Best, 

Leviticus_Rules

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I have fully understand that you try to install ESXi into a Virtual Machine.

Your 2 screenshots are confusing because the first one shows that you are installing it... but the requirements arent meet because the ESXi didnt see a a single storage at all and you cant proceed with the installation.

The second screenshot show that you finished the installation of ESXi within your VM but ESXi doesnt offer internal storage for VMs because lack of capacity. The one and only Disk was too small and ESXi occupied every thing for its self

1. Install ESXi again but on a larger Disk (the Installer should create automaticly a VMFS6 Datastore on the unused space)
  2. Add an additional Disk to your existing VM by shutdown the VM and press the edit settings and add an extra Disk. Power it on again and within the storage section (your 2nd. screenshot) the "New Datastore" should work now. Right now there is only a CDROM and the ESXi Boot Disk

Question: Which of the existing Controllers (SATA, LSI) you have assigned to the VM?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos