VMware Cloud Community
montechnology
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware ESX 5.5 - replicating to a second host with different hardware for disaster recovery

Hey Guys

I have an IBM x3650 M2 server that is running ESX 4.0.

I am looking to put in a new server and am considering a Dell R720 server and want to use ESX 5.5 Essentials Plus (as it comes with replication/vmotion).

My aim is to upgrade the IBM server to ESX 5.5 and use replicate from the new Dell R720 server to the old IBM server and use it as a backup server.
I should have enough space to run the VM's on the old server because I'm moving some of the VM's to the cloud.

My question is, if the new Dell server fails and I need to migrate to the old IBM server to keep the network going without downtime, will this work?

I am worried that because the physical server hardware is different that this might cause problems with running the VM's.

Also with the Essentials Plus kit do I need to purchase an additional license for the Data Protection addon so I can backup SQL & Exchange?

What do you guys think, am I going to run into issues with this setup or would there be a better way to do it that I should be looking at?

Kind Regards

Aaron

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bayupw
Leadership
Leadership

HI Aaron

vSphere Replication has no strict requirements on hardware, only the vSphere version.

Therefore you will be able to replicate from Dell hosts to IBM hosts as recovery in VR is a cold migration.

However, you might not be able to vMotion from Dell to IBM vice versa if the CPU Generation is not same or EVC is not enable on the cluster.

You can check the EVC Matrix here: VMware Compatibility Guide: cpu

I would recommend to keep the Dell & IBM as two separate clusters.

Re: VDP

You can backup VMs with VDP but the SQL & Exchange agent is only available on VDPA (VDP Advanced).

VDPA does not come with Essentials Plus Kit.

If you need VDPA, you can buy additional license or upgrade to vSOM Acceleration Kit since VDPA is included in vSOM AK

Buy VMware vSphere Data Protection Advanced | United States

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw
0 Kudos
montechnology
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Bayu

Many thanks for your reply.

With the Cold Migration, would that involve re-moving and re-adding the NIC in directory services mode when starting the VM on the 2nd server?

Also If using VDP & VDPA, would I end up with a VM that I can start straight away on the second server? Or do I need to run a restore/conversion process first?

Kind Regards

Aaron

0 Kudos
montechnology
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With the Cold Migration, would that involve re-moving and re-adding the NIC in directory services mode when starting the VM on the 2nd server?

Also If using VDP & VDPA, would I end up with a VM that I can start straight away on the second server? Or do I need to run a restore/conversion process first?

0 Kudos