VMware Cloud Community
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Converter Compatibility List

Hi

I'm looking for a Compatibility List of VMware Converter 3.x or 4.x.

For example I'd like to know which Converter does support which version of freeBSD and SCO Unix.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Use the cold clone process on those systems to convert them over. It will be a matter of the ESX version you're sending them to supporting the OS at that point.

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Use the cold clone process on those systems to convert them over. It will be a matter of the ESX version you're sending them to supporting the OS at that point.

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thx, but which VMware Converter version should I use for the cold clone process:

Converter 3 or 4?

My problem is, I should do that in a branch abroad, without converting directly into ESX.

I can try to convert into a share folder.

Do I need VMware workstation or player there, to test if the converting process was successfully?

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is all I could find (for 4.01)

http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv401.html#guestos

Converter Standalone 4.0.1 supports the following guest operating systems:

Windows NT SP6 and later

Windows 2000 SP4

Windows XP Professional (32 bit and 64 bit)

Windows Server 2003 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Windows Vista (32 bit and 64 bit)

Windows Server 2008 (32 bit and 64 bit)*

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 (32 bit)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 (32 bit)

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8.0

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.0 (32 bit and 64 bit)

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10.0 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Ubuntu 5.x

Ubuntu 6.x

Ubuntu 7.x (32 bit and 64 bit)

Ubuntu 8.x (32 bit and 64 bit)

• vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1 supports only Windows Server 2008 and does not support Windows Server 2008 R2.

CAUTION: During cloning of powered-on Linux machines, Converter Standalone 4.0.1 preserves the following source file systems on the target: ext2, ext3, reiserfs, and vfat. All other source file systems are converted into ext3 file systems on the target virtual machine.

golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It really depends on your destination... If you're going to ESX/ESXi 4.x, then use the 4.x version of converter.

For doing it abroad, you'll need a resource to help you out that's more local to the servers being converted. OR, if the original has either iLO (for HP) or DRAC (for Dell) controllers that are setup (properly) you can remote to the servers and get them to boot from the cold clone ISO/disc and go through it.

As mentioned by the other poster, there are some limitations to the vConverter, but those are more typical of hot cloning.

Another option for you would be to use Ghost 4 Linux(G4L, found on sourceforge.net) to bring the Linux physical server onto an ESX/ESXi host. You'll need to create a VM for it to go to, once you have the original cloned. I used that product some time ago to pull a Linux VM from VMware Server to ESXi 3.5 (so it's been a while)... It did a solid job of things, so I would look to use it again if I ever needed to... Going that route could be easier, but you'll still need to have a way to boot from the ISO/disc on the original system. I think that's going to be your biggest issue at this point.

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4