sgodaba
Contributor
Contributor

VMtools upgradation issues in Windows 2012

Hi Team,

We are seeking your help in fixing and finding a solution or Root Cause for the below issue.

We are upgrading our VM's to latest VMware tools v11360( 11.3.0) and Hardware Version to 13, in one of the server which was upgraded last week seeing intremittent network loss and server going to hung state and after few mins ( around 10 or mins) its coming online.
as its very Critical prod server, please provide us a solution to fix.

from the set of 2012 Windows VM's upgradation only one server is behaving like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Findings :

this is happening only on the weekends Saturday / Sunday in ealry hours ( after 2 AM)
And we see in the events its showing Event ID : 129

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2063346 -- Was this is an issue with _iscsi controllers.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80130 -- will it be cause with the tools?

please provide me your suggestions in finding RCA

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you’re looking for help or a fix from VMware you need to contact support, this is a user forum where customers help one another.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What type of vNIC is assigned to the VM? What is unique about this server application wise as compared to you other servers? Have you tried to completely uninstall VM's tools and install it again?

0 Kudos
sgodaba
Contributor
Contributor

Using E1000e and its for ADFS services., other 2012 servers upgraded parallelly working fine, only on the weekends its getting issues. Not all days. Can we suspect any disk issues or issues with Weekly backups?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sgodaba
Contributor
Contributor

Trying with them to get a fix still taking time, where looking for suggestions here.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
If the problem occurred exactly after upgrading VMtools 11.3.0 and/or HW version 13, you should perform a rollback and check if the problem reoccurs.
First the VMtools and if that does not fix the problem, then the HW 13 version of the VM.

On the other hand the E1000e NIC is not recommended for Windows 2012 and above, you should try to change it for vmxnet3.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support IBM, Lenovo, VMware vSphere and Veeam Backup.
VMware VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP 5
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos