VMware Cloud Community
ldanielc
Contributor
Contributor

VMs uploaded with Fusion 8 Pro don't start on ESXi6

Hi, all.

I have some VMs that run just fine in Fusion.  When I use Fusion 8 Pro's "Upload to server" feature, some of those VMs don't start and appear to be missing their disks.

My Windows XP VM (yeah yeah) uploads and runs just fine.

My CentOS 5 VM (yeah yeah) takes a while to upload, and the disks (1x IDE and 2x SCSI) are in the VM directory and are properly referenced in the vmx file, but the VM acts like it has no disks.

My Windows 10 Pro VM runs great in Fusion 8, and it has the same problem as the CentOS 5 VM: the vmdk file is in the VM directory, but the VM acts like it has no disk.

I have other, more minor VMs that also won't start: NeXTSTEP 3.3 and NeXTSTEP 4.2.

This does not seem to be related to snapshots: the XP and CentOS 5 VMs have a snapshot, but the Windows 10 VM does not.

Anybody have any ideas about what might be wrong here?  I've tried Google and searches here in the community, but all I have been able to find are references to transferring OS X VMs from Fusion to ESX.  Maybe I'll do that one day (I'm 100% Mac here) but that day is not today.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
roberth2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

we had the same issue today with latest Fusion 8.1 and I finally found the reason and how to fix it.

The problem occurs, when a startup disk is selected in Fusion.

How to fix it:

- go to VM settings of the affected VM

- choose Other / Startup Disk

- click “Restore Defaults” so no startup disk is selected anymore

- close settings

After this change uploading works and the vm successfully starts on the ESXi server.

We still use ESXi 5.5 but as the issue is on Fusion side I believe it will work for ESXi 6 as well.

It seems that the problems mainly occurs with VMs imported from Parallels.

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos