VMware Cloud Community
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor

VMs slow to boot

Hi All,

My VMs, Windows Server 2012, are taking 45 minutes to boot. No alarms in the eSXI host or in the OS host. 

Resources seem fine. This seems to have started at I applied the last Dell provided image. I have confirmed with Dell that firmware and drivers are up to date and compatible. I have opened a case with VMware - waiting for a callback. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestion on what to look at? DAVG looks fine <10.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Hasaranga007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

Where exactly it takes long time , in which stage ?

Did you check Windows logs ?

Can you try to vMotion the VM to another host and see ?

Could that be an OS or VM related issue / beyond Vmware ? like Disk full or any virus.

If you find this answer useful please give a Kudo.
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @hasaranga007 |
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/hasaranga/
0 Kudos
rnandula
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@lsmith254  I have a couple of questions,

1. In which state the VM startup is taking more time, what service is taking more time?

2. Is this the only VM taking time to boot on that ESXi or all the VMs in the ESXi have the same behavior?

3. Any patching performed on the windows OS recently or any other patch/upgrade in the infrastructure?

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor

Dell says not hardware - all VMs still slow. Actually reinstalled the hypervisor and reattached VMs. All VMs still really slow to boot.

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, VM is slow to boot up. IO is fine that is the thing. And no errors and no resource issues. Dell ran ton of hardware checks and nothing showing. 

Windows VM, Server 2012, just takes forever to boot. I backed off June 2021 Windows update and we recreated the hypervisor and attached VMs. 

Dell is baffled. VMware was very little help. They don't care. I am at a loss.

0 Kudos