VMware Cloud Community
villeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs lose their connection to outside networks every night?

I have a two host ESXi 5 cluster and for some reason my virtual machines lose their connection to the internet every night. LAN connection works just fine during this time. As far as I know this only applies to our VMs.

Any one have any ideas on this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

thanks for the update. dont forget to make answer as useful or correct Smiley Wink

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
villeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Additionally. The connection problem only lasts for a few minutes and then things return to normal. Normally this would't be a real problem, but one of the servers needs connectivity for validation purposes.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

check in alrams section for the same. Also cechk for event logs within vm to see if application works or hangs during tht time. this is to narrow down whether issue is with network or underlying storage on which vms are hosted

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

0 Kudos
villeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. The VMs event logs don't register anything of interest...only a few applications register connectivity loss. VMs on either host have the same problem and the hosts don't show any alarms.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

can u also check logs on the storage?

0 Kudos
villeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IBM Storage event logs don't show any recurring events that correspond to the connectivity problem. Storage errors seem an unlikely cause for this problem since the VMs fuction normally in other respects.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

one last question, is it happening on all vm's on all esxi servers ?

also all esx connected to same physical switch

0 Kudos
villeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will verify this on a few more servers tonight. But as far as I know this happens on all VMs on both hosts. The VM networks associated with the VMs have two physical network adapters and are connected to 2 different switches. The same switches have other servers(hardware) connected to them and they don't lose connectivity (will verify this again tonight).

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

kul..simple reason to ask was to narrow down the. issue to virtual or physical layer .. if it is happening on both servers, it is less likely to be config issue. could be a network dip on physical switches

0 Kudos
alexiaesx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi. Does it happes always at the same time? R u running something at that time? Backups or other things that might cause this?

0 Kudos
villeme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answers. After doing some more tests it seems the problem isn't related to the server infrastructure. Sorry for the hasty post.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

thanks for the update. dont forget to make answer as useful or correct Smiley Wink

0 Kudos