VMware Cloud Community
panktambe
Contributor
Contributor

VMs loose network after Vmotion

Hi,

This is frequent in my virtual environment, VMs loose network after vmotion.and Once I disconnect and reconnect the vNIC, it fixes the issue.Details below : -

VM H\W version = 7

Host = ESXi 4.1

VMtool = Updated

I have VDS and standard switches both in question . Checked some basic settings such as "Notify switch" is set to YES on Standard switches.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

If you have been paying attention to the ESXi host to which the VM's are migrated during your vMotion, do the problems generally occur with the same ESXi host?  That could narrow things down.

I have seen this happen in the past with a 4.x cluster... the host does not necessarily detect a problem with the uplink on a particular host, though there is in fact an issue.  The VM is moved to that host, and the problem vmnic is selected to be used by the vm's vswitch port.  My workaround was the same - disconnect nic, then reconnect.  But upon further inspection, I found there was evidence of an issue.  On one of the uplinks, the CDP information was not showing, while it was showing for all the other uplinks on the same host, and for all the uplinks on other hosts connected to the same physical switch.  Ended up replacing the nic, I think.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Often this issue occurs due to a configuration issue in the physical switch ports. Can you confirm you have spanning-tree portfast [trunk] (this may differ, depending on the switch vendor) configured on all uplink ports?

André

memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Check this KB  which talks about this issue  http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003969

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

what is the binding set .. is it static,, dynamic or ephemeral

0 Kudos
panktambe
Contributor
Contributor

It is set to Static, I know that could be a showstopper. but need to ensure that it is before we make change .

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yep try changing the binding and check if we are able to repro

0 Kudos