VMware Cloud Community
phuz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMs grayed out (inaccessible) after reboot of datastore

I thought I was doing the right thing by powering off all VMs before performing an update on my NAS, but I guess not.  My Synology NAS gets updates quite frequently and in an effort to keep it up to date, I don't like to delay installing them.  After the update, all the machines were grayed out and I was forced to reboot the host.  I've seen others have to remove the machines from inventory, run a command line tool through ssh, re-add them to inventory, etc.  As fun as that sounds, all of this seems unnecessary because of a simple datastore reboot.  Is there a fix or workaround for this?  I certainly don't want to be rebooting my host every time I install a NAS update.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Because your nas is a single storage processor model I think you should reboot all your infrastructure.. Another way, depending on your license, is to storage vmotion your vms to another datastore if available; but in all ways, before  doing a storage update, try to remove datastore using vsphere client, after vm evacuation is done.

phuz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK thank you for the insight.

0 Kudos