VMware Cloud Community
JohnathanAmber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMs and Templates - Unable to move VM into Folder "The operation is not supported on the object."

Hey everyone,

We are currently running vSphere 4.0. For the entire time that we've been using vSphere, we've been using vApps and Resource Pools in Hosts and Clusters to organize and manage the VMs that our team uses for both production and testing. From what I gather, this may be semantically incorrect (See: http://virtualizationreview.com/blogs/everyday-virtualization/2010/10/vsphere-folder-organization.as...). So, I navigated to VMs and Templates, created folders with the various user permissions, and attempted to move their respective VMs into their folders... and I get the following error:

"The operation is not supported on the object."

So, should I go about resolving this or leave things as they are?

What are your opinions?

Is there a correct or incorrect way to manage multiple user's VMs?

Thank you for your time and help,

Johnathan

-Just workin' and learnin'
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanAmber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Avinash21,

Thanks for the tip.

Moving the VMs from the vApp resolved the issue.

When I moved them to the root of the host, I was able to move them under a user's folder.

Thanks again,

Johnathan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

when your trying to move the VM's to the folder are they still a part of the Vapp..? I am just guessing that might be the problem.Try moving one VM from the Vapp and then move it to the folder. and what does the vsphere client logs tell..??

JohnathanAmber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Avinash21,

Thanks for the tip.

Moving the VMs from the vApp resolved the issue.

When I moved them to the root of the host, I was able to move them under a user's folder.

Thanks again,

Johnathan