VMware Cloud Community
acausemaker
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion stuck at 45% for 18 hours

Hiya!

Trying to vmotion a Windows 2003R2 vm has resulted in the process being 'stuck' at 45% for the past 18 hours.  It's a small vm (10GB) and usually doesn't take this long to move, so of course I'm assuming something has gone horribly wrong somewhere.  When I try to connect to the console I get "Unable to connect to the MKS:  The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created".

VCenter shows the vm as still being registered on the source host, but I can't edit settings or clone it or do anything, but it at least shows the properties of the vm.  If I connect to each host individually with the VI client, the VM shows as being registered on the destination host, but not powered on yet, and still can't do anything to it/with it.

The VM is still running, as I can RDP into the server and it appears to be running fine.  I'm hesitant to shut it off for fear of not being able to bring it back up afterwards.

Not sure what to do at this point, the posts/articles I have found so far say to just wait and let it finish.... but I think I'm past that point by now.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Try restarting the vCenter services.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Please connect to the esx server where you are moving the VM via VI CLient and see what it shows, at times the info may not get updated on the VC side.

Also, you can try to restart the management agents service mgmt-vmware restart && vmware-vpxa restart

Also try restarting VC Service

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

are you able to right click the task and cancel it?

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

I noticed at times that cancel will not work - wonder why ? Also, I think this may have to do with the vc service not getting updated...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos