VMware Cloud Community
owblueiii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMkernel Default Gateway

Hello,

I'm configuring my new ESxi 4.1 host and I have a question about the VMkernel Default Gateway. My current setup consists of my host with 4 NICs installed. Two of these NICs are for the management/public (192.168.1.x) network and I have assigned the other two as HBAs for iSCSI. My iSCSI network is completely segmented from my network with 192.168.100.x). When configuring the IP address of the VMkernel iSCSI network I assigned the IP of 192.168.100.47. However, the VMkernel already has an IP of 192.168.100.1 which is on the management/public network. Should I leave this the way it is? We don't have our router configured to route traffic to the iSCSI network as each server has a seperate network card for the iSCSI traffic.

thx.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

However, the VMkernel already has an IP of 192.168.100.1 which is on the management/public network. Should I leave this the way it is?

Do you mean that the VMkernel gateway is 192.168.1.1?

Basically, you want to ignore the VMkernel gateway setting when configuring the VMkernel port for your iSCSI network. You only need to set the IP address and subnet mask when creating additional VMkernel ports as the VMkernel can only have one gateway. If you needed to route traffic to another gateway you would have to change the routing table instead.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

As far as default gateway goes the entire esx server will have only a single gateway, so youra iscsi and your vmkernel will have the same default gateway.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

However, the VMkernel already has an IP of 192.168.100.1 which is on the management/public network. Should I leave this the way it is?

Do you mean that the VMkernel gateway is 192.168.1.1?

Basically, you want to ignore the VMkernel gateway setting when configuring the VMkernel port for your iSCSI network. You only need to set the IP address and subnet mask when creating additional VMkernel ports as the VMkernel can only have one gateway. If you needed to route traffic to another gateway you would have to change the routing table instead.

Dave

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

owblueiii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the VMkernel Default Gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 and I'm going to be assinging an IP to the 192.168.100 subnet (iSCSI). I forgot to mention that the VMkernel Default Gateway is actually grayed out, but I do have the option to click "Edit" to change. So, I should leave it as is?

thanks!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, just leave it as it is.

Dave

owblueiii
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great. Thanks guys. One last question. Since I have two physical NICs assigned to iSCSI am I correct in setting up both for the same vSwitch?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With a basic setup you can just configure both in a single vSwitch. With that setup you have a single connection to your iSCSI storage (i.e. one NIC is active and the other will be standby). If you need both to be active take a look at page 35 and following - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf.

Dave

0 Kudos
JRink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I typically have a single vSwitch with (2) pNICs assigned. Then I'll have (2) different port groups in that vSwitch, each port group will have a single VMKernel (each on a seperate network). Each VMKernel will then be assigned to a SPECIFIC pNIC in the vSwitch. Then bind both VMKernels to the iSCSI software initiator. Everything you need to know is in the VMWare iSCSI Config Guide.

JR

0 Kudos
JRink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I typically have a single vSwitch with (2) pNICs assigned. Then I'll have (2) different port groups in that vSwitch, each port group will have a single VMKernel (each on a seperate network). Each VMKernel will then be assigned to a SPECIFIC pNIC in the vSwitch. Then bind both VMKernels to the iSCSI software initiator. Everything you need to know is in the VMWare iSCSI Config Guide.

JR

0 Kudos
pie8ter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought about the doing what you did. But I ended up creating one vSwitch with one vmkernal port to one pNIC. So I needed four connection to my iSCSI SAN. I created four seperate vSwitches, vmkernel ports and one pNIC to each vSwitch. Then each vmkernel ports are bound to the software initiator. I am not sure about the pros and cons of both setups.

0 Kudos