VMware Cloud Community
lucmorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare tools build number question

Hi all,

This KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100394...

says that the VMWare tools build number should be the same as the ESX host's build number.

This is not what I see here. Here's what we have:

ESXi, 4.1.0, 260247 (as reported by vSphere Client)

VMWare tools Version 8.3.2, build 257589 (as reported by the VMWare tools "About" dialog)

Is this the proper version of tools for the host ?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the tools on my guests many times, and they always report the same build number.

Is it possible for a host to install an "out of sync" version of the tools ? If so, how can I "resync" it ?

Thanks for any pointers.

Luc

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you could tell me whether this file should, or not, be present on the guest OS, I'd appreciate.

Take a look at Enabling debug logging for VMware Tools within a Windows guest operating system in this article the location of the file "tools.conf" is specified for different guest OS.

I have checked my VMs, i have seen that there is a file with such a name on some VMs (but it is empty), while there is no such file on some others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

seems this behavior is expected, have a look at the following KB.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008121

VCP3, VCP4, RHCE, EMCPA

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I think it was right before vSphere 4.1, you may notice that this kb article refers to ESX 3.0 & 3.5.

>Is this the proper version of tools for the host ?

Yes, for ESX(i) 4.1.0 build 260247 proper version vmware tools are 8.3.2 b257589

:smileyplus:

You can check the status of tools with VMware API (PowerShell or Perl SDK).

For example - perl : How to check the status of VMware Tools per virtual Machine the easy way., powershell : Powershell VI Toolkit

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

what sukanov told is correct, because the 4.1 version of vmware-tools, which is downloadable form vmware.com shows build number 257589.

See the link - http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/4.1/windows/x86/VMware-tools-windows-8.3.2-257589.iso

VCP3, VCP4, RHCE, EMCPA

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

0 Kudos
lucmorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys for the information.

The reason I wanted to make sure I had the proper version of VMWare tools is because I found some KB article explaining how to edit the tools.conf file to enable logging, but for some reason, this file has not been created on any of my guests after installing the tools.

I've talked with other users about this, and it seems that the tools.conf file should be created when installing tools.

I need to make sure I'm not chasing my tail with this Smiley Happy

If you could tell me whether this file should, or not, be present on the guest OS, I'd appreciate.

regards

Luc

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMWare tools Version 8.3.2, build 257589 sounds more like a VMware Workstaiton build number... you may want to uninstall it then go under the VM menu and do another install just to be sure. On my VM in 4.1 I see Version 4.0.0 build-261974

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Take a look at Enabling debug logging for VMware Tools within a Windows guest operating system in this article the location of the file "tools.conf" is specified for different guest OS.

I have checked my VMs, i have seen that there is a file with such a name on some VMs (but it is empty), while there is no such file on some others.

0 Kudos
lucmorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@VTsukanov,

Ahh.. thanks for verifying that.

Yes, the KB article that you're pointing at is one that I had read, and since it gave the location of the tools.conf file, I was assuming that it had to be present on my system.

Since you say that on some VMs it is present, but not on some others, I'm starting to think that my setup might be fine after all. You see, I have 3 different Windows OSes running as VMs on ESXi, and none of them has the tools.conf file.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Luc

0 Kudos
lucmorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare tools Version 8.3.2, build 257589 sounds more like a VMware Workstation build number... you may want to uninstall it then go under the VM menu and do another install just to be sure. On my VM in 4.1 I see Version 4.0.0 build-261974

Hi,

I'd be very curious to know how a Workstation version of the tools would have crept up there !!

That would be the darnest thing 😕

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I hear you, not sure how they are so high but most things get done in workstation first before they make it to the other products. Actually, just checking now in my VMware Workstion XP VM I have Version 8.4.3 build 282343 installed.. So still suggest you uninstall/reinstall to make sure.

0 Kudos
Anfernee86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did a V2V from a Workstation 7 VM into my ESX 4.1 lab. The vmtools version on the Workstation 7 VM now on ESX 4.1 is 8.4.3 build 282343. The VMtools version on the ESX 4.1 vms is 8.3.2 Build 257589. Interestingly enough, it was telling me the tools on the vm that I V2V'ed is "out of date". I uninstalled and installed vmtools and now I am at 257589 and vCenter is reporting "OK".

0 Kudos