VMware Cloud Community
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMWare tools ESX 4 for Windows 7 x64

I'm trying to install VMWare tools for Windows 7 x64 on ESX 4. The OS installed just fine, but when I try to load the tools I get almost all of the way there and then get the error:

Error: 25030. Setup failed to load a kernel driver (vmrawdsk). Clicking okay rolls back the install.

I even copied the files directly to the desktop and ran them from there.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Okay I figured it out.

When the Windows 7 VM was provisioned I didn't notice that it only gave itself 4MB of video RAM. Once I changed the setting to 128MB (the max) I was able to install the VMWare tools with no issues. Still no 3D support but otherwise working.

Also, and I don't know if this is important or not. I did the install when accessing the console through the Tomcat web access, instead of through the regular console access.

So my settings:

Guest OS- Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) (experimental), Video Memory 128mb, CPU's 4 (Q6600 chip), RAM 1GB (I can make it 2GB)

Anyone else install it?

HughBorg707

Blog: http://1zero1.net

0 Kudos
charliehawkins
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue, but have not been able to figure out how to make the vram change. How did you do this?

0 Kudos
charliehawkins
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I think I found my solution: My "Guest Operating System" was chosen as Other. I changed it to MS Vista-64 and the vmware tools install went perfectly. I am still curious how to change those vram settings, though.

0 Kudos
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Greets,

I'm not in front of my machine at the moment but I seem to recall there was a way to right click a settings property under "edit settings". Just poke around until you find it. It will be defaulted to 4mb and you should be able to use the drop down list to choose 128mb.

HughBorg707

Blog: http://1zero1.net

0 Kudos
chirkoot
Contributor
Contributor

If you are getting the below message while you are installing the VMware Tools for Windows 7 64-Bit

Server 2: Error 25030 Setup failed to load a kernel driver (vmrawdsk)

I noticed that it does not require to change the display RAM. In my case i changed my resolution from 800x600 to 1024x798. I then again tried installing VMware tools from From Virtual machine menu and installation went pretty smooth.

HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmm, that's interesting too. I wonder why screen resolution or memory is an issue in the first place.

0 Kudos
JSaldana
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same issue when trying to install tools by double-clicking on the "Setup VMWare tools.msi" file.

I finally was able to install successfully by executing the "setup64.exe" file.

0 Kudos
ChoctawKaul
Contributor
Contributor

I tried changing the video memory but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Running "setup64.exe" worked for me.

Thank you

0 Kudos