VMware Cloud Community
Deano123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare standalone converter query

Hi,

I am in the process of migrating our VM infrastructure from HyperV over to VMWare vSphere 5.1.  I have converted the majority of our current systems successfully and they are working fine under VMWare.  However, I have about 3 left to do and they have multiple VHD's and in one case the machine has a primary system VHD, a secondary VHD as a datastore and to add to that a connection to an iSCSI drive.  These are all listed in the OS(Windows Web server 2008 r2) as individual drives as you would expect.

My question is, before I start the process of migrating these machines, Am I likely to run into trouble with this configuration? and what should I do beforehand to avoid a disaster.  My first thought is to add another VHD and copy the contents of the iSCSI drive over to it and then detach the iSCSI completely so that only the multiple VHD's are converted. 

I presume that the converter will be able to easily handle multiple drives connected to a VM?

Any thoughts, gotchas or advice would be appreciated.

regards

Dean

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sumitpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dean,

Yes, Vcenter Converter will take care of multiple virtual hard drives connected to VM and during conversion steps you can alter partitions, add/remove virtual hard drives as per your requirement and you can increase/decrease partition size also.

Regards,

Sumit

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Deano123 wrote:

Hi,

I am in the process of migrating our VM infrastructure from HyperV over to VMWare vSphere 5.1.  I have converted the majority of our current systems successfully and they are working fine under VMWare.  However, I have about 3 left to do and they have multiple VHD's and in one case the machine has a primary system VHD, a secondary VHD as a datastore and to add to that a connection to an iSCSI drive.  These are all listed in the OS(Windows Web server 2008 r2) as individual drives as you would expect.

My question is, before I start the process of migrating these machines, Am I likely to run into trouble with this configuration? and what should I do beforehand to avoid a disaster.  My first thought is to add another VHD and copy the contents of the iSCSI drive over to it and then detach the iSCSI completely so that only the multiple VHD's are converted. 

I presume that the converter will be able to easily handle multiple drives connected to a VM?

Any thoughts, gotchas or advice would be appreciated.

regards

Dean

Converter should convert all the drives, including the iscsi drive to a VMDK if you select it, no need to worry about it

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Deano123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply...

Ok, sounds good.  So will it treat the iSCSI drive as just another VHD and in theory create 3 vmdk's for this particular system?

Dean

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

tha tshould work.

As far as the os is concerend the iscsi drive is just another drive, so thats how converter will treat it too.

here are some tips: http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com/2012/07/best-practices-for-using-vmware.html

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Deano123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cheers for the responses guys.  All went just fine..

Dean

0 Kudos