VMware Cloud Community
filister
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare recovery of data storage from deleted VM

I have deleted one of my VMs but without detaching or making a snapshot of the storage. Is it possible to assign the same storage to a new VM? I was running CentOS 7 on the old one and had couple of partitions: 500Mb of /boot, 50Gb /root and 750Gb /home. I don't care about the boot and the /root partition, I just need to rescue the /home partition, since I had there some important information. I am using vsPhere Client 5.5. What are these Virtual Device nodes? Are they the individual partitions? Also when I go to the datastore browser I see a lot of vmdk's is there a way to attach these vmdks to the the new VM? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has to know about more on your linux partition and disk. Did you have separate disk in that vm for /home partition ?. What is the disk layout of the linux vm ?

0 Kudos
filister
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have created different partitions for the Linux installation, as pointed in my original thread. So what I have done is I have created a new disk with about 1Tb of data and then I have created probably 4 or 5 partitions (/home, /root, /boot, swap and /var), I am not sure about the /var partition but this is also not so important to me. I only want to preserve the /home partition. Is it possible to allocate the same virtual disk to the new VM and how to do that?

0 Kudos