VMware Cloud Community
k4kaleem
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare cpu usage

Hi All,

need advise here.

we have vmware 6.5 with multiple hosts.

we have multiple VMs and they are allocated single vCPU (lets say 10 VMs with single)

then few more VMs that have multiple processors.

when i look at system graphs i can see CPU 0 is always 80% but other CPUs (2 physical cores - and 24 virtuals ) are not doing much.

is there any way that VMs which are allocated single CPU used different CPU rather than CPU 0? - i looked into affinity but its advised not to use cpu affinity. any suggesstions?

thanks in adv.

regards,

Kaleeem

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you have not used affinities on any of your VMs, ESXi should not be scheduling all of your VM activity onto CPU 0.

Generally speaking, this is regardless of you having some VMs with 1 vCPU and some with multiple vCPUs.

Chapter 4 is a good reference: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-65-resource-management-gui...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RazvanConstanti
Contributor
Contributor

I recall having high CPU usage on 6.5 without any real reason when one out of four ECC DIMMs on a server was busted.

0 Kudos