VMware Cloud Community
leeplastic
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare converter error

Hi

Using VMWare Converter, I'm trying to clone a physical server to a VM, the server resides on the other side of a firewall. I've opened up the firewall so that this process can begin however this process always ends in failure with the following result:

Conversion Status

Type: Covert physical machine to virtual machine

Created: 19/03/2010 12:19:08 by xxx

Status: FAILED: A system error encountered during an operation

I inspected the export logs and noticed the following error:

NBD_Clientopen: attempting to create connection to vpxa-nfc://[xxx] GAS02/GAS02.vmdk@vmh02.cig.local:902

Started up WSA

CnxAuthdConnect: Returning false because CnxAuthdConnectTCP failed

CnxConnectAuthd: Returning false because CnxAuthdConnect failed

Cnx_Connect: Returning false because CnxConnectAuthd failed

Cnx_Connect: Error message: Host address lookup for server hstpllvmh02.cig.local failed: No such host is known

NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: Host address lookup for server lvmh02.cig.local failed: No such host is known

NBD_ClientOpen: Couldn't connect to hstpllvmh02.cig.local:902 Host address lookup for server hstpllvmh02.cig.local failed: No such host is known

What I'd like to know is on what interface does the VM host communicate with the VC server, both have interfaces in the same subnet, however the VMhosts have interfaces in a separate VMKernal network.

I can resolve the name of the host from the VC server, although the IP address that it resolves too is only used for management access, not a vmkernal port.

Any help would appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

The conversion goes entirely on the Service Console portgroup. What you may be experiencing is DNS resolution problems. Try make the physical server be able to ping the vCenter/ESX by hostname, and vice versa.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
leeplastic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks..

As ever it was always something simple, I just required the DNS suffix to be appended to the hostname of the VM hosts in the HOSTS file on the source phyical machine.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos