VMware Cloud Community
Sambo
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Tools not starting in Ubuntu guest

I have an Ubuntu guest which I have just migrated to ESXi 5.1 from VMWare Server 2.0.  I upgraded vmware tools on the guest which appeared to run fine without any errors, however, while the vSphere Client shows VMWare Tools as running and up to date, I can't get vmware-user running after logging into the guest.  When I try to run it from the command prompt I get the error:

vmware-user: could not open /proc/fs/vmblock/dev

the /proc/fs/vmblock folder does not exist on the system.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcome!

Thanks.

4 Replies
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Sambo  ,

Welcome to the communites.

Could you please update patch first through below command .

yum -y install patch.

"concentrate the mind on the present moment."
0 Kudos
Sambo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ramkrishna1,

Thanks for your advice.  I tried running the command, but I get the error:

"No module named cElementTree"

After some Googling I tried to install python-elementtree, however I apparently already have the latest version installed.

Any ideas?  I apologise in advance for my lack of *nix experience.  However, I am an IT professional so don't feel you have to hand hold me too much Smiley Happy

Sam.

0 Kudos
uggla
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running Ubuntu server 12.04 64bit and have the same problem. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Sambo
Contributor
Contributor

This issue is still unresolved and after quite a bit of Internet research it seems that there are quite a few people with this issue.  I can't believe that more people aren't on here complaining about it!?

I did however, manage to find a workaround which was mentioned in a couple of places on the net; once you've started Ubuntu, log off and on again, then VMWare Tools starts automatically.

I also found this which shows some merit, however there is already a vmware-user.desktop file in the specified location; it is a shortcut to a file elsewhere.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1081629#p1081629

I tried adding another file with the specified contents but it didn't help unfortunately (in fact it broke the log out/in workaround!).  Maybe someone with a little more *nix experience might have a bit more luck with this?

Edit: Hmm... after re-running 'sudo vmware-config-tools.pl' and answering 'yes' to the 'Would you like to enable VMware automatic kernel modules?' option, installing some Ubuntu updates, adding the above 'fix', rebooting and then removing it again, my VM now starts VMWare tools automatically on boot!?  I've re-created this on another, identical VM, but I'm still unsure which actions re-produce the fix.

My suspicion is that it's the vmware-config-tools.pl (possibly with the 'enable VMware automatic kernel modules' option enabled) that did it.  I'm pretty sure that the updates were run during the reboot after I made the config change, so it's hard to confirm whether this made any difference.  However, during the re-creation on my 2nd VM, the updates by themselves made no difference; so either it's a combination of both or the updates aren't involved.

If anyone can confirm this I would be greatful!