VMware Cloud Community
ITTropolis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Tools installed but VM using MS Basic Display Adapter & thus max. resolution 1152 x 864

Hi:

ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3, Windows Server 2016 VM, VMware Tools installed but vm is using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter & thus max. resolution is 1152 x 864.  How to update to the VMware display adapter?

Thank you,

Bob H.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ITTropolis

Go for the easy solution and re-install the VMware Tools, do a complete uninstallation and then install them again. This issue happened to me sometime ago and this was the solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ITTropolis

Go for the easy solution and re-install the VMware Tools, do a complete uninstallation and then install them again. This issue happened to me sometime ago and this was the solution.

0 Kudos
ITTropolis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lalegre

Thanks so much for your reply as reinstalling the VMWare Tools fixed the issue.

I notice that some VMs w/VMware SVGA 3GD Display Adapter have max. resolution of 1980 x 1080 whereas other VMs w/same display adapter have max. resolution of 1280 x 800.  The VMs are on different ESXi hosts.  Do you know older/different versions of ESXi host support varying max. resolutions, or is there a way to increase the max. to 1980 x 1080?

Thank you,

Bob H.  

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Maybe it have todo with the amount of GPU Memory you have configured?

Regards,
Joerg

Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is this happening of same OSes?

0 Kudos
ITTropolis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lalegre Yes, same OSes, Windows Server 2016.  But different ESXi versions, 5.5 vs. 6.7.  Maybe ESXi 5.5 display adapter supports max. 1280 x 800?

Or, maybe different GPU mem. as suggested by IRIX201110141​ is issue?  I haven't compared yet but some VMs have default 4 MB and some have 8 MB.

0 Kudos
ITTropolis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IRIX201110141

Increasing Video GPU from 4 to 8 MB fixed resolution issue.

Thank you!

0 Kudos