VMware Cloud Community
Nexent1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Tools Not Installing?

I am installing ESXi 4.0 on to a ML 150 server. I have created a Server 2008 VM and have the operating system running. I selected the VM and then Guest | Install/Upgrade VMware Tools. When I do this I received a message: "Unable to install VMware Tools. An error occurred while trying to access image file "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso" needed to install VMware Tools: No such file or directory. If your product shipped with the VMware Tools package, please reinstall VMware ESX, then try again to install VMware Tools in your virtual machine."

I have reviewed the CD for any other ISO images and none are there. I am trying to locate just the VMware Tools or Windows.iso file. Not sure where to locate this, any assistance is appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware tools ISO's should be on the ESXi host as files. If indeed the tool iso files do not exist it may be because of a bad install or upgrade. Two issues suggested in another thread relate to both upgrades or a reinstall.

One suggestion was to use the host upgrade utility and apply the upgrade ESXi 3.5 / 4

The other reference to the missing iso's http://communities.vmware.com/message/1269640#1269640

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
Nexent1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks I have tried both and neither work. The upgrade route seems to indicate that there is a Hardware compatibility issue, but I just bought this machine and was assured by Softchoice that VMware will work on this machine.

I also tried a clean install and the tools will still not install.

0 Kudos