VMware Cloud Community
RobMUK
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Lab from two Dell 1950's

Dear all.

I need some help with a Lab Setup I'm building.

I have two Dell 1950 Servers each with three NICS with ESXi 5.1x on.

I have deployed the Free FalconStor Storage VA on ESXi 2 and can connect to the iSCSI SAN on the Appliance from ESXi 1 using NIC3 of 3.

On ESXi 1 I removed the VKernel Switch I was using (Third NIC) as an iSCSI NIC and turned it into a Standard VM NIC so I had 3 standard vSwitches

I then installed two nested ESXi Host's on ESXi1 (LabVMHost1 & LabVMHost2).

I connected NIC1 as a standard Switch for LAN traffic NIC 2 as a VMKernel VMotion NIC and NIC 3 as VMkernal iSCSI NIC.

When I try to connect LabVMHost 1 to the iSCSI SAN Appliance I don't get anything as if it's just not seeing it. Is there a method required to pass iSCSI traffic through a NIC in the way I've decsribed?

Thanks Rob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - No there is nothing special you have to do - iSCSI traffic if IP traffic - things to check include any vLAN tagging and make sure it is configured appropriately - if you are going to use Jumbo Frames that all switches are configured approriately - these should for any switch carryiing traffic both physical and virtual.

To confirm that they can see each try a simple ping -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos