VMware Cloud Community
Vasily_K
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Esxi 4 copying file from 1 local datastore to the 2 one.

I have got VMware ESXi 4 host with two datastorages and need to copy files from 1 storage to another on the same machine.

I can use FastSCP but it is really slow, especially if you have client machine in the different place and instead of local copying it is using copying through the all network.

Is where any way to copy that locally ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AnatolyVilchins

Hi!

How slow is it? Can you give us a numbers?

iSCSI Software Support Department

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

You could use the "Browse Datastore" option on the source datastore and select the "Move to..." option. I just used this to move a ~420MB ISO file from one local ds to another local ds on my host. Took about 17 seconds to move the item. You do get an alert about if you're moving a VM that it will need to be re-added to inventory. I would remove the VM from inventory, but leave it on the ds, move it, and then add it back into inventory once the move is completed.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
Vasily_K
Contributor
Contributor

It is 4-8 MB/sec.

I do need copying not moving.

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

Are both of your datastores are local? If some of them are remote, then the speed is normal. You can try to enable Jumbo Frames and Register Tweaks - it also migh help to increase speed of data transfer.

The way, suggested by Mr. Golddiggie is not always moving files. I suppose he ment you to go configuration>select your datastore>right click>Copy>select datastore, whaere you gonna copy files in>Paste

it will copy files

iSCSI Software Support Department

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
Vasily_K
Contributor
Contributor

both are local.

if you connect from remote location when coping it is copying throughmachine with the client, when moving it is not.

I have got SAS disk and want copy with at least 30-35 MB/sec speed.

If I use thouse disk normally I have at least 70MB/sec speed.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

How about logging into the host and using

cp -r /location/of/directory-or-file/to/copy /location/to/copy/it/to/

Sorry missed different ESXi host. not sure if ESXi has the scp command

Message was edited by: Chamon

Vasily_K
Contributor
Contributor

How can I list all datastores from console?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

From the vSphere Client you'll want to look in Home > Inventory > Datastores

That should list them all in the pane to the left. You'll have additional tabs in the window to the right too...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

ls -l /vmfs/volumes/

Vasily_K
Contributor
Contributor

it works, I have coped 2 gb test file for 2 minutes.

tommorow will try the same with the nfs volume.

0 Kudos
Vasily_K
Contributor
Contributor

I tryed to use mounted nfs volume and it took 7 minutes to copy 2GB file.

0 Kudos
scottlindner
Contributor
Contributor

If I understand right, copying or moving VMs between two datastores local to the host should be fast regardless of the method. Is this correct?

I just added a second disk to my host and am copying VMs from one local disk to another using the Datastore Browser and it's projecting 2 hours for a 50GB VM which is 7MBps or 56Mbps. Both disks are fairly modern SATA disks and nothing is running on the host at this time as it is in maintenance mode.

I have seen this topic come up in other threads but this appears to be the most recent. Is there any known cause for this? The option to cancel the copy isn't available so I'm kinda stuck waiting for this to finish. I haven't enabled SSH access to my host yet but it appears I probably should do that before I transfer my other VMs to the new disk.

Cheers,

Scott

0 Kudos