VMware Cloud Community
itatcapital
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare ESXi and HP DL380 G8- clarification

Hello,

We are doing a server refresh and woudl like to clarify teh situation with teh HP DL380 G8 servers.

1. Install of vSphere ESXi is through the use of the free/trial version of ESXi provided by HP and not from VMWare downloads

2. we can install either 5.0 or 5.1 versions as provided by HP

3. we can purchase our standard licenses for vSphere from VMware and use those with the HP-provided ESXi installation

4. Updating/service packs for ESXi are just those provided by VMware and not HP

5. teh HP-provided ESXi ISO is just needed to ensure all drivers for the new generation of server are included in the ESXi server

Am I largely correct?

Any commenst are welcome.

regards,

itatcapital

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I see that DL 380e G8 and  DL 380P G8 are supported.

I would recommend to contact HP support and verify with them.

Karthic.
vRNI TPM

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

The solutions/ steps you listed are perfect.

1. Install of vSphere ESXi is through the use of the free/trial version of ESXi provided by HP and not from VMWare downloads

If you download the VMWare image , it will not get installed  you will have to download it from HP website.

2. we can install either 5.0 or 5.1 versions as provided by HP

You can install the ESXi based on the compatibility, I always recommed to check VMware HCL http://www.vmware/com/go/hcl.

3. we can purchase our standard licenses for vSphere from VMware and use those with the HP-provided ESXi installation.

The ESXi image provided by HP contains only the extra drivers for HP Hardwares, So Applying license is only from VMware.

4. Updating/service packs for ESXi are just those provided by VMware and not HP.

ESXi updates can be installed through Update manager. if there is any HP driver update you can install Manually.

5. teh HP-provided ESXi ISO is just needed to ensure all drivers for the new generation of server are included in the ESXi server

Yes

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
itatcapital
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply, it was very helpful.

Unfortunately, only one DL380 G8 server (Dl380e G8)  is listed in the HCL but I suspect the ISO from HP will cover us, I guess.

thanks.

0 Kudos
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I see that DL 380e G8 and  DL 380P G8 are supported.

I would recommend to contact HP support and verify with them.

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
0 Kudos
itatcapital
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the replies. I can now feel more confident in ordering equipment.

0 Kudos