VMware Cloud Community
jdunlap21
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXi V5.5 for VOIP System

Hello,

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place so please move to the correct location if need be.

Currently we have a Toshiba IP Edge physical rack mounted box for our VOIP system. The physical device is starting to fail so we are transitioning to a software-only setup. In the documentation for this, it notes that VMWare ESXi V 5.5 is required. (Link to documentation: Here). I've contacted support about this and they said V5.5 has reached its EOL and is no longer available. I've asked our 3rd party telco support and they said most of their clients are using that particular version. All of this being said, would the Toshiba IP Edge software play nicely with newer versions? Is there a download link for V5.5 floating around somewhere if not? 

Thanks,

Josh

Moderator edit by wila: Moved thread from Technical Community Resources to ESXi discussions

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

5.5 is not supported or updated, do you really want to host a production workload on an outdated platform?

You’ll need to buy a vSphere 7 license regardless of whether you end up installing ESXi 7 or a previous version - for older versions you would have to downgrade the license, then access the binaries.

Maybe download ESXi 7 and see if it works.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
This should consult with your Toshiba software support about what version and what type of VMware vSphere license your application requires.

In the document you sent the link indicates

IPedge Software-only is compatible with VMware 5.5 and 6.0. The IPedge OVA
software package can be downloaded from the Toshiba public FTP server.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
jdunlap21
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

That is where things get murky. Toshiba no longer manufactures/supports this phone system. It's still available, but you typically go through third-party providers. We were told to provide the infrastructure for this setup and our provider would provide the software. Later on, we realized that this particular software isnt installed over Windows, so we have an even bigger problem on our hands. That is unless it can be. From what I've googled, this particular bit of software (I'm unfamiliar with VMware) cannot be and must be installed similarly to an operating system. I know once we do get it installed, I was told we can run it kind of like in "Windows Compatibility Mode" where it will run like its either V5.5 or 6.0 though. I was tasked with finding out if it can be installed over Windows so we don't wipe a server that is currently running WServer 2016. 

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos