VMware Cloud Community
viczulu
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXi 6.7 password Issue

I just made a fresh install of VMWare 6.7 and it seemed like an automated install. After the installation was done I tried to login but it is asking for a root password. During installation, the install program did not prompt for a root password. In fact all I did was insert the cd and reboot the machine and the installation did the rest to finish without my input. Now I am stuck I have tried loging in without a password but failed. I even tried a lot of suggested passwords such as vmware, password, changeme etc with no luck. please help

0 Kudos
15 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

During install it should prompt asking for details, which did not happen in your case.

As its a fresh installed ,could you do a re-install and check please.

Please consider marking this answer as correct and helpful if this helps you.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Any update on this, did we try to reinstall and check if we are getting options which asks for details.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What media are you using and where was it sourced?

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S
0 Kudos
viczulu
Contributor
Contributor

gayathris - I did a fresh install, same thing happened. It still did not ask for details.

ChrisFD2​ - I was given the disk by the former network admin.

So I decided to download the vmware myself. I downloaded esxi 6.0.0 It did the installation with no questions, then hung up on Relocating modules and starting up the kernel. I did a cold boot and now a different problem emerged - boot partition not found.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

• didn't your former admin leave any documentation behind?
  • is this a new installation, or an upgrade?
  • is the hardware officially supported for ESXi?
  • what hardware do you use (vendor/model, and RAID controller)?

Note that most major hardware vendors offer customized ESXi installation images, which contain additional required drivers. You may want to check whether such an image is available for the hardware you're using, and run the installation using the customized installation image.

André

0 Kudos
viczulu
Contributor
Contributor

No documentation was left behind / handed over.

It is a fresh install. We decommissioned the server and now want to use it for something else.

hardware is Sun Oracle sunfire x4170

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether Orcale provides a customized ESXi image.

Anyway, try to whether the installation works by following the steps in e.g. https://talesfromthedatacenter.com/2016/02/esxi-6-install-stuck-on-relocating-modules-and-starting-u...

André

0 Kudos
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

According to the HCL, the server you are installing on is only supported until ESXi 6.0, this may be part of the issue.

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S
0 Kudos
viczulu
Contributor
Contributor

This did not solve the issue

0 Kudos
viczulu
Contributor
Contributor

Had same issue even with this option

0 Kudos
viczulu
Contributor
Contributor

After digging deeper, I found out there vmware was not licensed. Out of interest, I will just try esxi v5.5 after which I have resorted to revert to  something I know and have used in the past like xen or proxmox.

0 Kudos
bhuqwl
Contributor
Contributor

With ESXI downloaded from VMware account, all functions can be used for 60 days.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

One more thought.

You mentioned "I was given the disk by the former network admin."

Maybe the former admin created the installation image for an automated installation!?

Check whether there are some configuration files (likely in the "/EFI/BOOT" folder) which contain the password.

André

0 Kudos
mode5100
Contributor
Contributor

The default password for EXSi 6.x and 7.x is          _Passw0rd_ 

hema4362
Contributor
Contributor

It worked, thank you so much

0 Kudos