VMware Cloud Community
Christovam
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXi 5.0 - to map the serial port on virtual machine

Hello,

I have ESXi 5.0 and need to configure a serial port on a Dell server on a Linux virtual machine to communicate with a printer Fiscal Bematech MP4000.

I added a serial port on the virtual machine, but is not communicating with the printer.

I changed some settings in the BIOS serial server, but not solved.
Someone has gone through this?

Attached is a picture of the setup!

thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vCloud9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure IOMMU is enabled on your ESXi host's BIOS? Also check the serial port is enabled and I would also make sure there is no IRQ conflicts.

-vCloud9

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful.
0 Kudos
Christovam
Contributor
Contributor

The principle has no IRQ conflict.
I did not find this option IOMMU in the BIOS of my virtual machine!
follows a BIOS image from the virtual machine, showing the serial port enabled!

Below is a log of my host when I click connect the serial port to my virtual machine:

[msg.serial.device.open] serial0: Unable to open the "/dev/char/serial/uart0" serial port: Device or resource busy.
2012-07-20T20:04:02.343Z| vmx|
2012-07-20T20:04:02.343Z| vmx| [msg.device.badconnect] Failed to connect virtual device serial0.
2012-07-20T20:04:02.343Z| vmx| ----------------------------------------
2012-07-20T20:04:02.348Z| vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'synctime' -> '0'

0 Kudos
vCloud9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IOMMU setting wasn't for guest but for your physcial ESXi host hardware's BIOS.

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful.
0 Kudos
Christovam
Contributor
Contributor

this option is not on my physical host, but the technology of virtualization is enabled.

there are some in the BIOS serial port settings such as speed, redirection. need to change any of these parameters?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert

IOMMU is a different feature, it is nothing to do with the serial port, it is used for vmware direct path, for that the processor needs to have intel vTd or AMD RVI, capable.

I dont think IOMMU is need for this to work.

see the below KB,

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100197...

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
0 Kudos
Christovam
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
reinstalled ESXi and virtual machines over the weekend.
From what I understand my problem was when the exported virtual machine vmware esxi4.1, and care in vmware esxi5.0. In this transition must have been the problem on the serial port. Now it is working properly.
Thanks to everyone's attention. Hugs.

0 Kudos