ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  VMWare ESXI - Remote Access via DynDNS - is it possible?

Posted Jun 08, 2018 10:58 AM

I've recently bought a computer, capable of running VM ESXI.

I'd like to access the server remotely via my home broadband, which is a standard dynamically assigned connection.

I've been using a DynDNS service to access services from home, this works perfectly well.

Is it possible to access ESXI's web interface remotely through DynDNS (or a similar service) and more importantly, is it possible to route traffic from the outside world to my internal VM's running on the computer?

The bigger picture is to have multiple servers running various tasks (some clones of each other for redundancy), all accessible from the outside world whilst using a dynamic IP address.

Any help on the situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: VMWare ESXI - Remote Access via DynDNS - is it possible?

Posted Aug 24, 2018 05:19 PM

Hi, did you find a solution to this, as I am trying as well?

• 3.  RE: VMWare ESXI - Remote Access via DynDNS - is it possible?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 24, 2018 05:29 PM

It is possible to access ESXi remotely, yes, but doing so by exposing that host to the Internet is an *extremely* bad idea and it should be absolutely avoided. Use of a VPN is far preferable.

• 4.  RE: VMWare ESXI - Remote Access via DynDNS - is it possible?

Posted Aug 24, 2018 06:01 PM

Years ago I had both a FTP and web server running as VMs on my host server at home. I used the DYNDNS service to forward requests on the related ports (used the DYNDNS service to have the url feed to the port for the server type/VM). This did work, since I used port forwarding on my router to send the traffic to the correct IP of the VM running the services. These were Linux VMs.

I wouldn't expose the host directly to the internet though. IF you NEED to administrate the host when not at home, do it via a helper system (at most) that's also extremely secured. The VPN recommendation is, by far, the safest/smartest method to do this.

I've since decommissioned those VMs and haven't felt the need to create anything like that again. I do have a web site but it's hosted externally. IME/IMO, it's more secure that way and makes it so that I don't have to worry about things like security.