VMware Cloud Community
LB4Community
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare ESXI 6.5 - How to create local datastore (where ESXI 6.5 is installed) ? Error "No partition..."

Hello,

I have ESXi 6.5 installed on a server.

I use 2 x 1.8 TB hard drive. (I do NOT use raid).

How to create a partition on the same (primary) disk as ESXI OS ?

If i select the same "physical" disk as the ESXI installation, i get an error: "No partition has been selected. Please select a partition on the left hand side diagram."

See picture below: datastore-hdd_01.png

My question is very simple (and stupid ?! sorry), but after some research, i can't find a solution (for dummies :smileysilly: ).

I have been using ESXI 4, 5 and 5.5 for years and have never had this problem, i could use the same physical disk for esxi and some VMFS data.

If i create a partition on the second physical disk, everything goes well and i get "the alias link (datastore2 -> for mine)" in the console.

(The command "df -h" in console with ssh give the result below: datastore-hdd_02.png).

The summary:

I have two physical drives.

Disk 1 where i installed VMWare ESXI 6.5 (and where i'd like to use the remaining 1.81TB):

Partition diagram

1. EFI System (3.97 MB)

5. Basic Data (249.98 MB)

6. Basic Data (249.98 MB)

7. VMware Diagnostic (109.98 MB)

8. Basic Data (285.98 MB)

9. VMware Diagnostic (2.5 GB)

2. Basic Data (4 GB)

3. VMFS (1.81 TB)

and Disk 2 (for future):

Partition diagram

1. VMFS (1.82 TB)

Free space (1.09 MB)

Would an expert (or less lame than me :p) have a simple solution (to use the first disk (where esxi is installed)) ?

I thank you in advance for your time

NB: Sorry for my English, is not my natal language Smiley Wink

---

Physical DISK 1 in HTML5:
datastore-hdd_01.png

300119-datastore-hdd_01.png

Physical DISK 2 (and other) in console (command "df -h"):
datastore-hdd_02.png
300119-datastore-hdd_02.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SebastianK8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

you can check if there are unmounted VMFS datastores with "esxcfg-volume -l"

This command Shows all available unmounted VMFS Volumes.

If you have one or more, you an mount them with "esxcfg-volume -M" -> this will mount persistant and use existing Label.

Best regards

Sebastian

View solution in original post

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds and looks like everything has happened as it should.

The VMFS on disk 1 was created during the ESXi installation, is as large as possible, and is a datastore where you can now create VMs - it will be shown as “datastore1” in various places in the UI and CLI tools.

You have another VMFS on disk 2, giving you a second datastore for VMs - this is “datastore2”.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LB4Community
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. Smiley Happy

Sounds and looks like everything has happened as it should.

Yes indeed, everything looks good on every "Partition diagram".

The
VMFS on disk 1 was created during the ESXi installation, is as large as
possible, and is a datastore where you can now create VMs - it will be
shown as “datastore1” in various places in the UI and CLI tools.

I am unable to use or to see, it is not displayed, the datastore1(or other name with VMFS 1.81TB visible only on the "Partition diagram") created during the installation (on physical disk 1 where esxi is located)
So it is not visible/created (the symbolic link) in ssh console either.

You have another VMFS on disk 2, giving you a second datastore for VMs - this is “datastore2”.

For the datastore2 on physical disk 2, i have no problem, thank you.

Is there a command line to display this (invisible VMFS) datastore ?
I can possibly re-install ESXI 6.5, but since it's an extremely basic case, i'm surprised at the complication.

I redid a screen of several places if it helps.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

---

first-vmfs-not-visible.png

290120-first-vmfs-not-visible.png

0 Kudos
SebastianK8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

you can check if there are unmounted VMFS datastores with "esxcfg-volume -l"

This command Shows all available unmounted VMFS Volumes.

If you have one or more, you an mount them with "esxcfg-volume -M" -> this will mount persistant and use existing Label.

Best regards

Sebastian

LB4Community
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

1000 x THANK YOU Smiley Happy

Indeed, with the command "esxcfg-volume -l", the volume on physical disk 1 (where esxi 6.5 is installed) was not mounted.

With your "esxcfg-volume -M" command, i was able to mount it and that solves the problem !

The datastore1 appears now !!!

I hope it will help others.

0 Kudos
mecifi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Use a vCenter.

Connect your ESXi to a vCenter. You will be able to create a datastore on each disk including the disk where ESXi is already installed.

If you try from the web interface, ESXi will show you only the disk(s) where ESXi not installed. That's to say if you have 4 disks:

disk 1: ESXi is installed on this disk

disk 2

disk 3

disk 4

The web UI will show you only disks 2 to 3 when you try to create a datastore. Disk 1 will never show. 

However, when you try the same from a vCenter, all disks are available to create a datastore. Once done, you may disconnect the server from vCenter if you want to and keep managing from the web UI.

0 Kudos