VMware Cloud Community
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare 5.1 Client Software Not Found on Windows 7

I'm a bit puzzled here. I just installed the VMWare vSphere Client 5.1 on my Windows 7 computer. It shows up as installed in my Control Panel list of installed programs. However, when I click VSphere Client under VMWare in Programs I load the 4.1 client which was always there.

I checked the desktop, I checked the VMWare Folder in Programs, but I'll be dogged if I can find the program. Does anyone know where the executable is for the 5.1 client? I looked in the Programs (x86) folder and did find a 5.1 folder but the launcher isn't there.

This is what I installed - VMware-viclient-all-5.1.0-1064113.exe

It seems like if the 4.1 client is installed the 5.1 client is some prevented from working. Am I supposed to uninstall the 4.1 client? There was no upgrade option during the client install.

Thanks much for any help.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's loaded when you start the vSphere Client is only the launcher, which looks the same for the different versions. Once you connect to an ESXi host or vCenter Server, the launcher will chain the appropriate vSphere Client. The binaries are located in a sub-directory with the client's version number.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's loaded when you start the vSphere Client is only the launcher, which looks the same for the different versions. Once you connect to an ESXi host or vCenter Server, the launcher will chain the appropriate vSphere Client. The binaries are located in a sub-directory with the client's version number.

André

0 Kudos
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see what you mean. Once I get connected the interface does change. I see new features. But help about still says the client is 4.1. Ok. I guess that's just the way it is if you installed the 5.1 over the existing 4.1 client, huh?

Thanks much.

0 Kudos