VMware Cloud Community
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWARE ESXi 6.5 Update 1 : upgrade to "update 2" ?

Hello,

What is the best way to upgrade from ESXi 6.5 Update 1 to Update 2 ?
Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I download the file "update-from-esxi6.5-6.5_update02.zip" after the searche on VMware site : "ESXi 6.5 update 2"

With WinSCP, I copy the file "update-from-esxi6.5-6.5_update02.zip", inside the DATASTORE.

With Putty, I open the shell (ssh), and I run this command :

esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/5b116e9c-753b0aec-06f4-801844ed2322/Updates_ESXi_65/update-from-esxi6.5-6.5_update02.zip

And after that, I need to reboot the server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

"Best" depends on your requirements and constraints. Are you asking about updating a standalone ESXi host (without vCenter)?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you have update manager installed. The way I did it was updated vcenter first, either by clicking the update button in the appliance managment interface, or running the installer in windows. Then once vcenter is updated you can use update manager to update the hosts.

VMware vSphere 6.5 Embedded Update Manager (VUM) Demo - YouTube

0 Kudos
CERKYR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I download the file "update-from-esxi6.5-6.5_update02.zip" after the searche on VMware site : "ESXi 6.5 update 2"

With WinSCP, I copy the file "update-from-esxi6.5-6.5_update02.zip", inside the DATASTORE.

With Putty, I open the shell (ssh), and I run this command :

esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/5b116e9c-753b0aec-06f4-801844ed2322/Updates_ESXi_65/update-from-esxi6.5-6.5_update02.zip

And after that, I need to reboot the server.

0 Kudos