VMware Cloud Community
benoitlapointe
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE ESXI 5.0 Intallation

Hello,

I was working with a VMware ESXi 5.0 platform on a dedicated server.

I had some internet connection lost issues while running a Windows 2012 R2 virtual machine.

Also, from the dedicated server control panel, I saw VMware ESXi 5.0 was deprecated.

So I tried to upgrade VMware ESXi 5.0 to VMware ESXi 5.5 using this procedure: https://digiex.net/threads/step-by-step-guide-to-updating-vmware-esxi-5-0-to-5- 5-on-sys-e32-soyoustart-ovh.13310 /

Unfortunately, I did not installed the NIC Network driver before rebooting, so I lost Network access to the VMARE Esxi 5.5 installation.

I now can only log into the Linux rescue console.

I have a backup of my Virtual Machines, so from another dedicated server, I installed VMware ESXi 6.7 and I tried to open my Virtual Machines backup.
It did not work with error "Failed to power on virtual machine Server2008R2. Unable to enumerate all disks.".
I guess it is because my Virtual Machines use snapshots which are not compatible with VMware ESXi 6.7.

I would need a valid link to download the VMware ESXi 5.0 or VMware ESXi 5.5 ISO file so I can re-installed the software and access my Virtual machines on my original server and generate virtual machine OVA files.

Can somebody help?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Because 5.0 and 5.5 are both now long out of support, unless you have active SnS, you won't be able to get public download links for either.

Also, it's "VMware ESXi" 🙂

0 Kudos
benoitlapointe
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

How would I get active SnS?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Pay VMware the required fees to support your product version.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> I guess it is because my Virtual Machines use snapshots which are not compatible with VMware ESXi 6.7.

In case you did a file based backup (including delta snapshot files), you may be able to restore the VMs on a VMFS5 datasatore. VMFS6 only supports separse snapshot files.

Otherwise provide some details about your backup, e.fg. backup application, backed up files/folders, ...

André

0 Kudos
benoitlapointe
Contributor
Contributor

I got the installation files from my dedicated server provider. Do you think I could still get support?

0 Kudos
benoitlapointe
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

Yes, I got all the VM files including the delta and the snapshot ones.

Do I complete the migration with PowerCLI?

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

[Removed by moderator - please do not offer binaries to other users]

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Pretty sure what you're offering here isn't legal.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@e_espinel 
Moderator: Please do not offer binaries to other users, if they have an entitlement to use that software version they can download it legitimately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
My apologies. I thought version 5.X was no longer available on the VMware site.
In any case, the respective license is always required.

The version 5.0 End of General Support – August 24, 2016

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You're right, and as I also said, it isn't available on the site any longer. But that doesn't mean that you can volunteer to distribute those bits to other people without an entitlement.

0 Kudos