VMware Cloud Community
mikedlong
Contributor
Contributor

VMUpdate Patches on a completely Closed Network QUESTION *Newbie*

I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

I have 3 ESXi servers running 4.0 Build 208167. I'm running vSphere on a Windows 2k3 Management Server. I need to update all ESXi servers to the most recent update 2 however; this network can NEVER TOUCH THE INTERNET.

Management server has 2 local drives. No IIS, no APACHE.

I'm getting confused reading the documentation about VUM and then when I look to the vCenter Update manager Plug-In itself. I have a space for local repository but no matter what I put in there it fails. c:\VMWAREUPDATES, e:\VMWAREUDPATES

How do I apply these ZIP patches that I've downloaded, burned to CD, and then copied to the update directories as noted above? Any assistance would be grand, I will continue searching through the documentation while I wait on an answer **please have an answer**... Thanks,

Mike Long

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1021695 on how to import zip bundles. Another option is to install the Update Manager Download Service on a PC which has access to the internet and export/import the downloaded patches (see VUM Administration Guide)

André

0 Kudos
mikedlong
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try the first one however; I can't connect through a proxy. There is no Internet connection at all with this network. Think of it as a "sterile" environment. So proxy option is no option... Will let you know in the morning how the first one goes...

Thanks

Mike long

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I was in a similar situation - air gapped from the internet. Did as suggested in the article/guide and this worked fine for us. Basically had a server (actually a VM running on my notebook) connected to the internet which was running VMware Update Manager. As patches where downloaded we exported these to RO media (where not allowed to use RW media) and imported them into the VMware Update Manager that had no connection to the internet.

On the VMware Update Manager server in the disconnected (no access to internet) network we also had Patch Download Schedule disabled otherwise you get messages as it trys to connect everyday.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
mikedlong
Contributor
Contributor

I've got VCenter 4.0. Didn't see an Import Patches button or link in vCenter. I think I'm going to have to go back and start from scratch instead of try to figure out what my predicessor did. So I'm thinking that I'm going to have to re-install vCenter Update Manager and create a new database.

The KB refd at the top doesn't work because it's refering to vCenter 4.1...

If I have a license for vCenter Server 4 Standard then would I also have a license for the update to 4.1?

Thanks,

Mike Long

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Mike,

sorry, you are right, the import zip function is new to 4.1. However the Update Manager Service is something a lot of companies use.

>If I have a license for vCenter Server 4 Standard then would I also have a license for the update to 4.1?

As long as you have a valid subscription, you can upgrade to 4.1. The license keys are the same as for 4.0.

BTW: vCenter 4.1 requires a 64-bit OS.

André

mikedlong
Contributor
Contributor

To that last part... 64 bit os... OUCH...

Off to the server room to make sure Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Off to the server room to make sure Smiley Happy

No need to do so, VMware's recommendation is to install vCenter Server on a VM. Since you run ESX(i) 4.0 all your hosts should support 64 bit guests.

André

mikedlong
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that info.

I went through the VCP Training about a year ago and never did they go through the Update Manager then. So MANY little pieces to this suite that it amazes me I even make it through a day without my head exploding at times...

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ooops, check this link then: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2513;jsessionid=471F639E35DAB36ED1864BBC98900579

Additional information: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2505

This is how we did it with vCenter 4.0 if you don't have the license to go to vCenter 4.1

Message was edited by: ThompsG added a link

0 Kudos