VMware Cloud Community
SommyJo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMRC without Web Client

There is an ESXi 6.7 server:

In Web Client, I can launch VMRCs

I would like some technicians to launch VMRC of some VMs without having to log in to the Web Client first.

How can I do?

Currently I'm forced to install a remote control tools on the VM, but it's something I do not want to do.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There is more than one way to get the moid of the VM. I will list two ways

ESXi shell

vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

the "Vmid" is the moid of the VM.

From ESXi host client, the URL shows the moid. I paste a screenshot below. This is UI client version 1.24. I am not sure if you will have the same URL format as it might be affected by other factors. The ending number in the URL (in this sample screenshot it is the "6") is the moid of the VM.

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you don't want install VMRC in each computer, you can let them use to install the Web Console.

You could modify the default console to : Launch Web Console and then all users will use it.

You can do this by going to any VM and press the Gear symbol, then in the Menu you can change it.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

On a PC with Windows/Linux OS or Apple with macOS that has VMRC installed, you should be able to go a browser and enter

vmrc://<ESXi FQDN or IP>/?moid=<VM moid>

You can look at the options from the command line

C:\Program Files(x86)\VMware\VMware Remote Console\vmrc -?

You should define a user with limited roles/rights and probably restrict it to specific VMs.

SommyJo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Where do I find ModID in ESXi?

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check this: Tools to correlate MOID and inventory object names in VMware vSphere | VMwarebits.com

I will use PowerCLI as it is easier.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There is more than one way to get the moid of the VM. I will list two ways

ESXi shell

vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

the "Vmid" is the moid of the VM.

From ESXi host client, the URL shows the moid. I paste a screenshot below. This is UI client version 1.24. I am not sure if you will have the same URL format as it might be affected by other factors. The ending number in the URL (in this sample screenshot it is the "6") is the moid of the VM.

pastedImage_0.png