VMware Cloud Community
Mitching
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMKFS Renaming Error

Hi,

After applying U3 to my ESXi 5.0 servers (Enterprise Licenses in Vcenter setup) I am unable to rename VMDK files stored on NFS store.

I receive the error below on all servers. I am able to conduct the actual disk cloning fine without any errors.

vmkfstools -E "/vmfs/volumes/BackupStore/VirtualPC/VirtualPC.vmdk" "/vmfs/volumes/BackupStore/VirtualPC/VirtualPCRENAMED.vmdk"

ESXMapperGetPhysicalMapping: Failed to get physical mapping: 1900000002 Inappropriate ioctl for device

Funny thing is that the file(s) are actually renamed although the error is received.

Really makes me Wonder what could be the problem as it worked fine prior to the upgrade.

BR

Allan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mitching
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not having a current Service Contract on my installation this issue took some time to identify and correct.

I found the verbose switch command (-v) useful for discovering that CBT is somehow being responsible for this persistent error.

Not being a VMware Expert I have resorted to setting the ctkenabled value to false for all my virtual machines.

This has resolved my problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mitching
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nothing logged in any logfiles on the ESXi server.

No such behavior experienced by any other people according to Google

Pretty hard to identify the problem.

Bonk

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO that's definitely something you should consider to open a support call for, to find out whether it's related to your environment (i.e. hardware compatibility, firmware version, settings) or whether this is a bug.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

By any chance did you test vSAN or install vSAN in your environement..??

- Avinash

0 Kudos
Mitching
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not having a current Service Contract on my installation this issue took some time to identify and correct.

I found the verbose switch command (-v) useful for discovering that CBT is somehow being responsible for this persistent error.

Not being a VMware Expert I have resorted to setting the ctkenabled value to false for all my virtual machines.

This has resolved my problem.

0 Kudos