VMware Cloud Community
Shivaprabhu
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS5.x Datastore Maximum File Size

Hi All,

I have a doubt on VMFS Datastore maximum file size. Recently I have installed ESXi 6.5 Hypervisor (ESXi free version) on Physical server.

When I checked the Datastore properties, noticed that the Maximum file size is still showing 2.00 TB.

Datastore Properties:-

File System: 5.81

Maximum File Size: 2.0 TB

Block Size: 1 MB

Does it mean that the maximum Virtual Disk size can be created is 2.0 TB ? or We can create the Virtual disk more than 2 TB. Please can some one clarify on this.

As per the above information, if the maximum VMDK file is 2.0 TB then what is the best way to get it fixed so that we can create a VMDK size with more than 2.0 TB.

NOTE: Attached the screenshot for the Datastore which is created on ESXi 6.5.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There's no 2TB limit anymore. It only shows up in the Windows based vSphere Client, which btw. ist's supported for ESXi 6.5 anymore. Instead use the Web Client, which will allow you to create virtual disks with up to ~62 TB.

André

0 Kudos
Shivaprabhu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the useful info. I am using ESXi hypervisor (free version of ESXi) which is managed individually not by vCenter so I cannot use vSphere web client. Please let me know is there any other way.

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In ESXi 6.5 you can create more than 2TB datastore size. If you use VMFS3, same limit is applied. If you use VMFS5 / VMFS6 file size will be 62 TB, so you can create VMDK file max 62TB.

Check in ESXi 6.5 maximum pdf, and look for datastore size and file size.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I am using ESXi hypervisor (free version of ESXi) which is managed individually not by vCenter so I cannot use vSphere web client.

ESXi 6.5 (and also ESXi 6.0 as well as ESXi 5.5 with additional patches) include the vSphere Host Client, which is a web based HTML5 Client. You can start it from your browser using https://<hostname-or-ipaddress>/ui/

André

0 Kudos
Shivaprabhu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot. Will check this option too.

0 Kudos