VMware Cloud Community
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMFS volume missing physical extents

Hi Folks, I'm getting error as below while trying to extend VMFS volume. I can see in properties that total LUN size and extents size doesn't tally.

Also I can see the extend in add datastore wizard. I tried reboot/rescan, nothing helps. I don't want to complicate it further as it contains VMs and data.

Also from cli I can see extent LUN is showing offline but PATHs are active.

Any help is very much appreciated.

"Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to add extent to filesystem : VMFS volume missing physical extents"

Capture.JPG

3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Your VMFS-volume already is assembled using two extents - one of them offline.
You cant expand it further without bringing that offline extend back online.
In case that extend marked as offline does no longer exist or has been renamed your only option is to try to extract the content with dd-commands.
Anyway - more information is required.
Please post output of esxcfg-scsidevs -m.
Also create a vmfs-headerdump of the base-volume.
See http://vm-sickbay.com/create-a-vmfs-header-dump-using-an-esxi-host-in-production
Please do not wipe naa.numbers in further answers.
Ulli

haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi continuum

Thank you for your response. My apologies for the delay in response.

I can from the extent LUN visible in add datastore with Paths showing active. I'm not sure how it is showing as free as it is visible in Add datastore.

Please find the output of the command esxcfg-scsidevs -m. From output I can see extend is shown as 0.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I need to see the header-dump.
It also makes no sense to discuss this any further if you dont stop to obscure your information.
Feel free to call via skype if you dont want to post in public
Ulli

0 Kudos