VMware Cloud Community
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMFS version 3, allocation size dynamic?

I read in one of my training books that vmfs version 3 will actually change it's allocation size dynamically, but I'm wondering if anyone can verify this statement, and how it works?

If you know that a single vmdk file will be greater than 256gb do you have to start with a larger allocation size than 1mb?

Just curious about this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure, however I think this refers to sub blocks.

See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003565

André

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reading that article makes it sound like vmfs 3 is still limited in the same ways as older versions, and isn't really "dynamic" as my training manual suggests... 

Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which training manual are you referring to? The official training material? Which page?

André

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't believe this book is "official" material..

It's a book called "mastering VMware vSphere 4" by scott lowe. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No problem, I've got this book. Can you point me to the page(s) please.

André

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Page 252, chapter 6. Under bullet point #5 right at the bottom of the page..

Thanks

Kevin

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I know this is an older thread. However, I contacted Scott Lowe about this question and here is his reply:

The statement about VMFS 3  "dynamically changing its allocation size" does refer to sub-block  allocation. VMFS obviously will not dynamically change its block size  (that is set when the VMFS volume is created), but it will allocate less  than an entire block if necessary. Hence, "dynamically changing its  allocation size". I probably should have phrased that different to avoid  any potential confusion.

I hope this helps!

André

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update Andre,

I appreciate your efforts in finding an answer to this one. Nice of Scott to respond to you and explain further..

Kevin

0 Kudos