VMware Cloud Community
VolNation
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS Partition Disappeared

I will try to keep this brief!

VM froze up and wouldn't power on. It was unable to find one of its disk files. I browse into the datastore and it is empty.

I immediately open a case with VMWare Support and the engineer sees that the partition table is corrupted. So he tries to recreate the partition table and it fails.  I did a .dd of the disk and upload it to him- he says the data is gone and there is nothing he can do and closes the ticket. He has also unmounted the disk in the process.

I don't usually accept that as an answer ha- and I use OSFMount to mount the DD file to my desktop. Then I run DiskInternals VMFS Recovery 1.5 on that mounted disk. It goes through and finds the following:

flatvmdk.JPG

That is the disk file for the disk I need! Of course, I can't recover the file without purchasing the program at $699. Yikes! So- there has to be a way to get this file with this information right?

Here is the current partition table of that disk. I could try recreating the partition table but I will admit- I am kinda new to it. I know the VMFS partition is a VMFS3 using a 4MB block size because the size of this VMDK is 520GB.

When I try to add the storage to one of the hosts, it finds the VMFS partition and wants to overwrite it.

diskoverwrite.JPG

I do an esxcfg-volume -l to try to see if resignaturing is preventing a Rescan from picking up the VMFS volume, it doesn't list any results.

When I do an fdisk -l on the device, I see the following info:

fdisk.JPG

Keep in mind this is how the VMWare Support Engineer rebuilt the partition table- maybe it isn't right if he wasn't aware it was a 4MB block size?

At this point should I just eat the $700 and recover the -flat.vmdk file? Or is there any partition wizards out there that can help me? I am so close to tasting victory!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The partition table was wrong.The start sector should be 128 for vmfs3 based partition. he should have deleted the partition and recreated it again pointting to 128

0 Kudos
srsiddiqui
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem occuring on my ESXi 4.0 host.

did your issue got resolved ?

0 Kudos