VMware Cloud Community
alexnik108
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS 6 on RAID 0 best practices discussion

Hello guys,

Please share your ideas for disks best performance using SAS2208 based RAID 0 (4x DC SSD).

Guest VM has thick eager zeroed disks.

What suppose to be a strip size on RAID? Should I do it same as VMFS 1MB ?

Guest OS FS would be ext4/btrfs. Same question, what best block size for FS ? Disks will be used for heavy MYSQL load (of course with COW disabled in btrfs).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In my humble opinion using Raid0 for a VMFS-datastore on a standalone host is a suicide mission. Dont do it.
A single power-failure may kill your data in one stroke.

0 Kudos
alexnik108
Contributor
Contributor

RAID has BBU and data on host itsn't critical.

RAID0 will be used as fact.

Any ideas related to configuration ?

Would it be correct to setup strip size 256 K for 4x drives ?

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Raid 0 having performance but there is no redundancy and any failure data will lose .

You may go with RAID 10  if your raid controller support raid 10 .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
alexnik108
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

question wasn't about redundancy.

Question was about strip size Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

You may share the controller model , disk you are going to use (type , RPM and model )  and what is the purpose of the this raid ( OS / media / backup )

based on this we can decide which  stripe size can be used else you won't get the benefit of raid you choose .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
alexnik108
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

"You may share the controller model , disk you are going to use (type , RPM and model )  and what is the purpose of the this raid ( OS / media / backup )"

RAID: SAS2208 12Gb/s

4x SSD Samsung SM863

ESXI: 6.5

VMFS: 6

VM FS: ext4/btrfs

Purpose: mysql

0 Kudos