VMware Cloud Community
Hasan_Mubarak
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS 6 datastore limit size

Dears, I created VMFS 6 datastore on Sphere Client version 7.0.2.00 and now its reaching 127 TB, but what I know the maximum size is 64 TB. Is this will affect the production? Also if the maximum size is 64 TB how its reaching 127 TB without showing any error?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Well we don't support higher than 64TB, if you hit a problem than support will not help you until you solve the problem.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

127 TB ? - wow - that is the new record ...
I have recovered data from a 73 tb datastore once - quite painful experience by the way.
Are the VMs still ok ? - if yes - leave the sinking ship asap. Evacuate the VMs to other datastores if that is possible,
If the VMs are already corrupt let me have a look via Teamviewer and send a message via skype.

Ulli

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a quick question. Is it really the datastore which has this size, or does it show that value as the provisioned space.

André

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Andre - in the case that I have seen the 73 tb was the real size - not just the provisioned size.
We can assume that the 64tb limit is just a recommendation.
Unfortunately I never had the chance to really examine how the size was possible in the first place - after I recovered the data we purged everything and had to rebuild from scratch as soon as possible.

Ulli

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

It is not a recommendation, it is the limit to which things have been tested. It is a support and product limit / requirement.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

@depping 
If it is a product limitation then how is it possible to create VMFS-volumes larger than 64TB ?
From my limited experience with those illegal large volumes I can say that they behave odd.
Thats why I would suggest to leave the sinking ship as soon as possible - that is if the vmdks are still copyable.

Ulli

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

No idea why the product allows you to go higher. I am not part of that team.

0 Kudos