VMware Cloud Community
navzeppelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMDK Snapshot

Hi Everyone, I have a couple of questions:

1. Can ESXi 5.5 take snapshots for disk more then 2TB? I remember reading 5.5 can take snapshots up to 64TB.
  2. If I have 2 disk embedded on my VM will VMware will try to store the snapshot of the whole VM (with its 2 datastores)?
  3. Will it cause my VM performance degrade when I take snapshots of VMDK bigger then 2TB.

Really appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. Yes, snapshots are possible for all sizes of virtual disks. For virtual disks larger than 2TB, ESXi will use the SE-Sparse format though.
  2. Not quite sure I understand the question,. Anyway, with vSphere 5, snapshots of virtual disks are stored in the same folder as their parent virtual disk by default. When you create a snapshot, a snapshot will be created for each virtual disk, except for pRDMs and independent virtual disks.
  3. Snapshots - independent of the virtual disk's size - will always decrease the VM's performance, although you may not really notice this with only a single or few snapshots.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

yes you can do that , which is documented on vmware .

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205828...

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. Yes, snapshots are possible for all sizes of virtual disks. For virtual disks larger than 2TB, ESXi will use the SE-Sparse format though.
  2. Not quite sure I understand the question,. Anyway, with vSphere 5, snapshots of virtual disks are stored in the same folder as their parent virtual disk by default. When you create a snapshot, a snapshot will be created for each virtual disk, except for pRDMs and independent virtual disks.
  3. Snapshots - independent of the virtual disk's size - will always decrease the VM's performance, although you may not really notice this with only a single or few snapshots.

André

0 Kudos
navzeppelin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

Thanks for responding! It makes sense now.

Thanks,

Navin.

0 Kudos